Smaller hackle wet flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

CM_Stewart

Re: Smaller hackle wet flies

Post by CM_Stewart » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:30 pm

If I might suggest the road less traveled by, why don't you just buy bigger hooks. I suspect you would be astounded at the number of fish that will hit a size 6.

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 am

That is beautiful, Chris!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:45 am

tie2fish wrote:That is beautiful, Chris!
Agreed! I love that texture and mottling, and a feather that would usually be overlooked. Size 6? I'll have to try that just to say I did. Size 10's are a novelty in my box, but probably shouldn't be.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:09 pm

My rods of choice are a 7' 3wgt and a 7'6 4wgt so throwing large flies is difficult at best. This is why I was looking for smaller hen feathers for my #10 - #18 hooks. In a few days I am going to check out a 9' 4wgt 4pc Grey rod for larger streams and lakes. My big rod at the moment is a 9' 6wgt that I use for those large streams and lakes but I like the lighter weight rods better.
I will see if I can use larger feathers for the smaller hooks as Ruard has suggested but in the meantime I will order a couple of hen necks to see how they will work. Thank you for your suggestions, guys, I appreciate all of them.

Tim
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:07 pm

I can vouch for the effectiveness of size 6 wet flies. When I started out fishing soft hackles, I often tyed size 6 and size 4 hooks. They caught lots of fish...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Chris, LOVELY FLY! :D
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 pm

raven4ns wrote:My rods of choice are a 7' 3wgt and a 7'6 4wgt so throwing large flies is difficult at best. This is why I was looking for smaller hen feathers for my #10 - #18 hooks. In a few days I am going to check out a 9' 4wgt 4pc Grey rod for larger streams and lakes. My big rod at the moment is a 9' 6wgt that I use for those large streams and lakes but I like the lighter weight rods better.
I will see if I can use larger feathers for the smaller hooks as Ruard has suggested but in the meantime I will order a couple of hen necks to see how they will work. Thank you for your suggestions, guys, I appreciate all of them.

Tim
Tim, I have the 9' 4 wt 4 piece. I love it. I wouldn't think of it as the rod for larger water, but my casting skills are limited. You may love it for that purpose. I can say you will love it for typical dries and wingless wets, if you like the medium, glass action. It's a beautiful rod to cast. I'd like to hear your review.

W
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Thank you all for the comments. Now I need to tie a bunch of them. I've arranged for a two-handed casting class to learn some techniques for use with the 5.4 meter and 6.2 meter Japanese keiryu rods (similar to tenkara rods but used in Japan for bait fishing). I'm pretty sure with the right line they'll cast flies just fine. Big water + big flies = big fish, right? Speykara, here we come.
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 am

letumgo wrote:I can vouch for the effectiveness of size 6 wet flies. When I started out fishing soft hackles, I often tyed size 6 and size 4 hooks. They caught lots of fish...
And then what happened?
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:35 am

William Anderson wrote:
raven4ns wrote:My rods of choice are a 7' 3wgt and a 7'6 4wgt so throwing large flies is difficult at best. This is why I was looking for smaller hen feathers for my #10 - #18 hooks. In a few days I am going to check out a 9' 4wgt 4pc Grey rod for larger streams and lakes. My big rod at the moment is a 9' 6wgt that I use for those large streams and lakes but I like the lighter weight rods better.

Tim
Tim, I have the 9' 4 wt 4 piece. I love it. I wouldn't think of it as the rod for larger water, but my casting skills are limited. You may love it for that purpose. I can say you will love it for typical dries and wingless wets, if you like the medium, glass action. It's a beautiful rod to cast. I'd like to hear your review.

W
Will do William, I make the trip on the 31st to check out the rods and then to a new stream I have never fished before, maybe, with a new rod I have never fished before...lol. I'll let you know what I think of the rod(s)....just don't tell the wife...lol.

Tim
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.