Mearn Quail

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Mearn Quail

Post by DUBBN » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:44 pm

That should kill on the Provo and Weber! Heck, even the AF.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:48 am

Paparex, that fly is outstanding. I wondered if you had received them or not. You made very good use out of them, that is for sure! :D
paparex

Post by paparex » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:34 pm

After I tied it the stonefly, I realized that I had no camera to take the picture. Hand held iPhone is what I have and that is what I give you. Sorry it does not meet the standards of this forum. I commit to submit a higher quality product in the future.

What I am going to do tonight is to begin tying a series of soft hackles using the very smallest of the quills. I have prepared the quills by flattening them between my fingernails. Then I will dye them with a little Kool Aid and vinegar to give them a yellow hue to match the local PMDs (or are they PEDs?). Then I'll let them dry overnight. I plan to tie them like any other quill fly (without a tail, however) and top it off with a Mearns Quail feather in a soft hackle style. I think it will resemble a Partridge and Yellow. Last Friday, the Partridge and Yellow was THE fly during a late morning/early afternoon hatch and rising noses on a local, well known river. Second place was a size 18, chartruese body, partridge hackle, squirrel dubbed head, soft hackle. PMDs and caddis. What a great day!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Paparex, I can't wait to see this set of softies. It will be a treat to see what you're doing. Please, please don't avoid sharing your patterns for photography sake. There us no doubt there are some scary talented photographers here, and some working toward improvement, but I assure you most every one started somewhere and we all try to present patterns clearly, but my first pics were mostly fuzzy silhouettes and each got better. It's far more important that we get the opportunity to discuss the tying and fishing of the patterns than worries about image quality. Fly photography is a different sport and can be interesting, but it would be a shame if anyone here hesitated to post a fly for photography sake.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:19 pm

William Anderson wrote:Paparex, I can't wait to see this set of softies. It will be a treat to see what you're doing. Please, please don't avoid sharing your patterns for photography sake. There us no doubt there are some scary talented photographers here, and some working toward improvement, but I assure you most every one started somewhere and we all try to present patterns clearly, but my first pics were mostly fuzzy silhouettes and each got better. It's far more important that we get the opportunity to discuss the tying and fishing of the patterns than worries about image quality. Fly photography is a different sport and can be interesting, but it would be a shame if anyone here hesitated to post a fly for photography sake.

Agreed! Post the pics please.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:36 am

I agree. Please post pictures!!! You have my interest peaked on this. Would LOVE to see what you come up with. My photos aren't high quality either. So don't hesitate to share with us. Your previous fly knocked my socks off...lol. AKA, I loved it.