Soft Hackle Streamers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

jaydawg

Soft Hackle Streamers

Post by jaydawg » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:11 am

These two flies are the result of my mind wandering while I was tying some Raccoons for the upcoming fall season. Basically my stab at adapting the Grey and Black Ghost to the soft hackle format. They are both on #6 4x streamer hooks. Bodies are floss and tails/hackle are natural mallard flank. I'm really digging the looks of these. I think next I'll try some smaller sizes. Maybe some #10's.

Roadkill

Re: Soft Hackle Streamers

Post by Roadkill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:36 am

Nice flies 8-) , they remind me of one of my old favorites the Mallard Spider.
jaydawg

Post by jaydawg » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:45 am

Is the mallard spider just as sounds? Spider tied with mallard flank? Those two Ghost I posted really are just spider that have been scaled WAY up.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:49 am

Nice! :D I'd swing those with confidence.

I am reminded of another soft hackle pattern called a "Woody Bugger" (designed by Nick Pionnessa - Nick uses wood duck flank for the hackle). I have fished this fly for several years and find it to be very effective on steelhead.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern566.html
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mickalo

Post by Mickalo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Like these soft hackle streamers, also reminds me a bit of the Carey Special which I've had good success with.

Mike
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Jaydawg, this is interesting. I have a lot to learn about steelhead. Anything you've found to be productive would be very welcome. I like the Woody Bugger too. I need to change gears and you guys need some rain. I hope it's a good season.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Excellent idea. Nice way of putting to use some of those bigger feathers that often get passed over.
The way you got that Mallard to wrap and barbs to separate, I wonder if it could make a passable Spey style body hackle with one of the longer flank feathers.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Jaydawg, good to see you again.
These streamers are refreshing. There are enough people here on the forum who have tied and fished soft hackles for steelhead, you are in good company. And I may try that Woody Bugger for the local bass.
Thanks for letting us in on what you've been up to.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:36 pm

A mallard spider has a red hackle fiber tail, yellow floss body with a flat gold tinsel rib, and flowing mallard hackle.
A larger one can include a marabou under wing. Kind of like tying a Gartside softhackle streamer.
jaydawg

Post by jaydawg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks guys! I wasn't thinking spey when I tied these, but that's really what they came out as. These will be targeting large brookies and salmon on the Rapid Rive in Maine in a couple of weeks. This spring I fished a nature mallard hackle and black dubbed body raccoon that took MANY large salmon on the Rapid and I'm hoping to repeat that in a couple weeks!

For the hackle on these ghost I stripped one side of the flank feather and wrapped it like I would a flymph/spider. I make the tail using the barbs from the side I stripped. I take those loose barbs and roll them between my fingers before tying them down. That's what gives that nice looking tail.