Let us talk wings...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Let us talk wings...

Post by daringduffer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:31 pm

I sincerely hope that I am not annoying Mark now. I want to question the concept of wingless wets. To me, a wingless wet would only have a beard hackle, since I regard the upper portion of the hackle to be (represent) the wing.

What is your take on this semantic issue?

dd
Hans Weilenmann

Re: Let us talk wings...

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Stefan,
since I regard the upper portion of the hackle to be (represent) the wing.
If a fly is tied 'in the round', how would you define the upper portion?

Cheers,
Hans W
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Hans,

If the hook point is below the shank, I think the hackle above the shank is "the upper portion". Just as you already knew. Some authors of old books spoke of the hackle "correctly set", meaning the hackle manipulated to be up and down but not umbrella style, representing wings and legs. Just like the fish, you see what you expect to see. That's why they don't see the hook...

dd
Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:19 pm

Interesting discussion.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Quite right Mike, not the concept but the idea that it is wingless. But "wingless wets" is a name I am fond of, and I believe most people understand what it means. I was just teasing somewhat and furthermore wanted to highlight what the fish ought to see in the hackle. I have a friend who is a fundamentalist regarding the hackle on "hackles". He can't accept umbrella style and pinches the hackle on the "hackle" between thumb an finger before he offers it to the fish. He is a very skilled and experienced fisherman. I would not say that he is wrong, but sometimes I enjoy tying umbrella style just to watch the beautiful fibers when they are separated and curve nicely.

dd