Big silk (thread) inquiry here

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Flykuni

Big silk (thread) inquiry here

Post by Flykuni » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:53 pm

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a fisher, new to the soft hackle game. Thanks Mick. Hope to be a man of wealth, taste and of the soft hackle game. Now: tell me all about silk threads, everything.

I have many examples of rod-wrapping silks from my roddy days, when I did small repairs on bamboo rods. All manner of colors, and jaspers, a few dozen. Many are white. I have assorted sizes, and I'm not sure how they compare to the two spools of Pearsall's I just purchased from a fly shop -- 6/0? Has anyone used rod-wrapping silk for their ties here?

Another: what colors can I expect when applying cement to wraps? I know from experience the white will go transparent, and I hope to do interesting things knowing that. But of the others, what changes will appear? Will the purple (a Japanese spool, from a dry goods shop, long gone) just go dark?

Right now what I have in Pearsall's is a soft yellow, and a somewhat-orange.

Postscript -- got through that chapter. Whoa. Exhaustive, a and helpful. I should explain my cement fixation -- last night I tied a bunch of attractors with a red (nylon) thread body, carefully cementing with nail polish each one. They look wonderfully shiny and insecty when done. Then I began to think of softies. It got confusing, Michael's death, Madoff sentenced to life and what will his poor wife do with on 1.5m a month, I couldn't concentrate and lost my way.
Last edited by Flykuni on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soft hackles, silk lines, bamboo rods, were our forefathers handicapped? I don't believe so. I fish with few modern things, tippet and leader, hydrophobic powder, a car to get me there.
Flykuni

Re: Big silk (thread) inquiry here

Post by Flykuni » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:04 pm

...there I go, half hackled again. Of course the silk bod will get wet in the wa-wa, silly me. Thanks, I'll click on that discussion thread on thread.
Soft hackles, silk lines, bamboo rods, were our forefathers handicapped? I don't believe so. I fish with few modern things, tippet and leader, hydrophobic powder, a car to get me there.