1st plovers for me, and silky too

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Flykuni

1st plovers for me, and silky too

Post by Flykuni » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:55 pm

My first ties with silk threads, my golden plover is broken in. In time for August CO. trip, Lyons cane conclave and RMNP streams I've never seen. New waters, new flies to cast. These aren't expert ties by any means. And they don't follow pattern specifics. I sat at the vise and began to go where the thread and feathers took me. And the old Mustad hooks I habitually collect and use.

This is sort of a dun affair. A friend from a bamboo board was kind enough to send woodduck to me, unsolicited, goodness of his heart. I like that they weren't store-bought, and taken who-knows-how. Utilizing the natural curve for tailing takes a little care, but it's worth it and I love the effect.

This is assorted things. Best I can call them, on assorted old Mustads. Experimenting with silk, old hooks and new feathers (to this tier) is rejuvenating. A whole, old world opens up. Now we add fish.

I truly appreciate your help, gentlemen. May we one day wade a stream together.
Soft hackles, silk lines, bamboo rods, were our forefathers handicapped? I don't believe so. I fish with few modern things, tippet and leader, hydrophobic powder, a car to get me there.
DOUGSDEN

Re: 1st plovers for me, and silky too

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:22 pm

DEAR FLYKUNI,
EXCELLENT PATTERNS. THERE IS NO REASON THESE FLIES WON'T TAKE SOME TROUTS ON YOUR TRIP OR ANYWHERE YOU LIGHT DOWN! OF COURSE, WE EXPECT A FULL REPORT AND LOTS OF PICTURES! HAVE A GOOD TIME!
DENBOUND,
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.