Pearsall's and Twisted Thread Dubbing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Smuggler

Re: Pearsall's and Twisted Thread Dubbing

Post by Smuggler » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:45 am

Someone pin a medal on this man. Seriously though, this method sounds to be on point. Out of all the times that I sit at my desk wondering about different dubbing techniques this one never occurred to me. I'll certainly be trying this tonight.
Premerger

Post by Premerger » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:01 pm

A beautiful tie Old Hat. That has success written all over it.
How hard can it be?
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:03 am

Hello Old Hat,
That is a nice fly and thank you for the twisted thread technique. My flies are rough compared to most of the flies I have seen on here. The dubbing style I use is the touch style but I find my bodies aren't shaggy enough so I have started using mohair Uni-thread which is good for the larger trout flies like 14-8 on a 1x shank. I will be ordering Mohair touch dubbing for the smaller sizes. What is the difference in appearance between your style of dubbing and mine if I use Mohair to give me the buggy look? For me, it's about keeping the process simple as I am a very slow tyer.
To paraphrase a saying I saw on a kitchen clock and adopt it to fly tying "I'm not a slow tyer nor am I a fast tyer, I'm a half-fast tyer." Thank you for another dubbing technique, OH.

Old Hat wrote:I have been tying these Blue Duns at the shows this year. I have been showing the twisted thread body and pre-made Clark's block method.

This particular one was done by the twisted thread technique that I use. When I do a split thread body, I actually noodle dub one half of the thread. I dub somewhat tightly near the hook (this will be the the rear of the fly) and less tightly or not at all further down the split thread (this will be the thorax the body). This way I can get a nice tapered shape without increasing the amount of dubbing from rear to front to ensure I retain translucent properties. Pearsall's is a 3-strand thread as most of you know. This actually gives more control to the tier. Untwisting the strands gives you the 3 strands. An uneven split. With the twisted technique you can adjust the amount of thread that shows through by which grouping of strands you dub. Dubbing one strand hides that strand and leaves two undubbed in the twist. This allows more thread to show through the dubbing. Dubbing two strands, leaving one undubbed, makes the dubbing more prominent within the twisted body.

The fly above was done by dubbing one of the 3 strands as described.
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:14 am

"I'm not a slow tyer nor am I a fast tyer, I'm a half-fast tyer."
Very funny. Thanks for the laugh and a smile.

Your friend,
Ray (half-fast too)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:28 am

You are most welcome, Ray.

letumgo wrote:
"I'm not a slow tyer nor am I a fast tyer, I'm a half-fast tyer."
Very funny. Thanks for the laugh and a smile.

Your friend,
Ray (half-fast too)
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.