Stonefly Soft Hackles?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

RnF

Stonefly Soft Hackles?

Post by RnF » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:30 pm

So I am wondering if there are any wingless wets designed specifically for big drowned stoneflies? Just curious, because these guys are out and about on the local waters. If not, I am sure I can come up with something, but would love to see some patterns. This one is a golden stone.

Scott D
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Stonefly Soft Hackles?

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:16 am

http://www.flymphforum.com/phpBB3/viewt ... p?f=6&t=39

Altering this pattern to the correct coloration and size might work. Also a change in hook profile might be needed as well. See photo, below. I use this basic flymph look for other stone-flies as well.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/mliberton ... flymph.htm
I've changed the hook selection, however from the one listed in this recipe to a Daiichi #1260. It has a more graceful curve and the angle of the barb is not as steep.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
RnF

Post by RnF » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks Mark, I will have to tie some of those up. Most likely will work. I did tie up a crude soft hackle this morning before going out. Not a ton of success with it, but did catch one on it.
Scott D
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:35 pm

In the book " Soft Hackled Fly Addict" by Sylvester Nemes the author lists two flies for stoneflies. One is Dean's Black and the other is Black and Red dun. Bill
VERN-O

Post by VERN-O » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:30 am

I don't have a pic of it....but here goes

Daiichi 1280 or TMC 200R Size 10-16
Black thread
Goose biots for tails
Black Vinyl Rib body.....be sure to start vinyl rib near the eye and secure it all the way down to tail then wrap it up the shank...this will bulk the body a bit
Thorax Black Ice Dub or peacock dubbing
Hackle Black Hen nice and webby....2 full turns

simple but it should do the work......RnF you're very creative, I would love to see what you come up with
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:37 am

I think the thing I notice most about stoneflies is the activity and chaos that they exhibit when they land, or fall on the water. Would you fish a soft-hackle as a drown stonefly? I was under the impression that its the disturbance in the surface tension that makes a stonefly pattern so attractive. I'd love to hear comments on this. To me Mark's pattern looks like a nice nymph imitation. Mark?

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:22 am

Hi William,
I guess I'd have to say, as presented in the photo, it looks quite nymph-like, but I've fished this fly in the surface, or just below, as well, with good success. I treat the fly with a good floatant and fish it on a floating line, of course.

Perhaps even a more suitable change to the hook would be a Tiemco 2312, light wire dry fly hook which also has a curve to the body. They go down to size 12, I think, which might well be appropriate for a good sized stone-fly.

The Daiichi 1260 is a standard wire, which is better than the hook shown because of the way the barb is set pointing up. (I discussed this attribute with Hans in another posting. here, somewhere.)

The one shown in the photo is a Mustad C53S, also a standard wire hook.

In the original post linked above, I used a Grip hook. It's more emerger than stone-fly.

Hooks are very important to the profile and attitude of the fly, giving it the appropriate "look" for the fly being represented.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
VERN-O

Post by VERN-O » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Mark I agree....the hook style is important. the stoneflies I envision have that long body....I've encountered the smaller black stones just wiggling near the surface in early spring.....easy pickings for trout. A nice CDC thorax would be nice as well
RnF

Post by RnF » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:07 pm

VERN-O, I basically tied up a nymph pattern with a ton of weight. I will try and post it up later today.

William, Mark is right about the a nymph pattern fishing well floating to represent a drowned adult. The body profile of the nymph and adult is basically the same minus a new wing. Fish aren't too picky.

Your description of a fluttering stonefly is correct, on calm waters. Grab a hopper and throw it in more turbulent water. Chances are it will vanish under the water and sink. This is why I think a sunken stonefly pattern would be nice to have and fish with. (try nymphing a hopper pattern and you will be pleased with the results)

As far as the proper hook, I am not sold on the style per se, other than it needs to be the right size with a the right amount hook gap. I actually use straight hooks more often than not. But I am not as experienced as many of you here, so you probably have perceived differently. I will have to try a few different style of hooks and see what happens.
Scott D
RnF

Post by RnF » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:13 pm

Ok, so these really are Stonefly nymph soft hackle patterns. I intentionally added a ton of weight on these flies to get them down in the faster waters. These I would imagine would do good with out any weight as well.

I was able to get out Tuesday and fish the Fury Stone and I have to say, I was impressed. Landed some nice browns (sorry no pics, I suck at taking pictures of fish by my lonesome). I also hooked into one of the biggest browns I have ever caught, but I lost it. :oops: I haven't ever had that much success with other Stonefly nymph patterns before, so this was a nice surprise. It was tested on two different rivers and worked well on both.

I don't see me making any changes to the Fury Stone. I would like to find a darker Fury Foam for the Salmon Fly version, but tan was the darkest color I had to work with. I picked up some Fury Foam a couple months back, this was the first pattern I tied with it. I like the stuff a lot and it seems to make nice bodies when cut in strips. I will be using this on other patterns with out a doubt.

On a side note, I REALLY like this Gamakatsu hook. Nice hook gap, nice hook point (has a bit of a hitch) and extremely sharp.

Scott D