woven flymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tbar24

woven flymphs

Post by tbar24 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:00 pm

how many people like tying these? does the dual colors add alot to the flies?Any body got any good woven patterns they are willing to share?
RnF

Re: woven flymphs

Post by RnF » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:26 pm

I can't say I enjoy tying them. But lots do. I typically just get a marker and color the top side of the fly a darker color. Works great and saves me tons of time.

But the woven flies do look fantastic, so I think it's more a artsy thing to do. If you enjoy it, have it! I have no patterns to share with ya.
Scott D
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:06 pm

I don't tye them, but they have some advantages with regard to reduced friction (I'm thinking nymphs here). Two tone effects probably help in some cases, but given the amount of time required to tye them I think that adding a darker "shell back" material would be more useful.

Aaron

BTW I have a short DVD on tying them from Oliver Edwards that you can have if you want. Just drop me your address via PM.
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:33 am

Tyler,

While I do tie the odd woven pattern, just to prove to myself that I can :twisted: I very rarely fish with them.

My daughter does like to tie them.

While at a show in Belgium earlier this year we were tying side by side, and she asked me for a small hook. I handed her a TMC 2488 #30. She used two sections of Pearsall Gossamer silk for the body:

Wee Weaver

Cheers,
Hans W