Uni-mohair

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

raven4ns

Re: Uni-mohair

Post by raven4ns » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks, Bill, I will. It's good to know I'm not the only one who poor luck with the woolly bugger....lol.
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:21 pm

Out here in lake country we use leech imitations a lot. Sorry about attaching the websites as I could not find stand alone pictures.

Here's a website and picture of the mini-leech I use. This one has a bead head and is a later version of the old mini-leech. I usually use one like this, but with no bead:

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/fly-pat ... eech.shtml

Here's another effective one tied with simi-seal. It's a Denny Rickard's pattern: I don't know if it is any more effective than the standard chenille bodied woolly bugger but it has a more attractive body material:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/sealbugger.htm

I've also used the mohair yarn but didn't like the bulkiness of the thread. It has been used a lot up in British Columbia for leech imitations and one color is known as "Canadian Brown".

Old Hat may be familiar with these patterns as he's also in "lake country".
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:44 pm

William, very cool looking micro leech, could also pass muster as an elver or small bait fish.
Never really played with Pukeko as a barb tail. Main use over here is as a flat wing- there is an entire series of NZ lures (streamers) known as Pukeko style, flat full feather top wing.
How do you find the tails last with trout teeth?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Bill, thanks for the links. Those are certainly close cousins. I haven't weighted the leeches I've tied, although I probably should. It hasn't seemed to matter, although I can imagine the times they've gone unnoticed. That's not a pleasant thought.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:28 pm

William Anderson wrote:Bill, thanks for the links. Those are certainly close cousins. I haven't weighted the leeches I've tied, although I probably should. It hasn't seemed to matter, although I can imagine the times they've gone unnoticed. That's not a pleasant thought.

w
I've looked at the picture of your buddy's leech and it appears to look the same as the kaufmann's mini-leech, but with brushed out wool (which is easier to tie with than angora goat).