Tying Quirks.......

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Eric Peper

Re: Tying Quirks.......

Post by Eric Peper » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:00 pm

That Ott Lite shown is the floor model with goosenecks for both the light and the 3X magnifier. It was a "can't pass it up" deal at JoAnn Fabrics where if you bought the floor model for $119.. you got a clamp on model with magnifier for free. So having two, like the granite base, the floor model is here in TX and the clamp-on is on my tying station in Idaho. I refuse to duplicate my tools and materials however.

FWIW, the granite bases come in three sizes. Both mine are large because I wanted the space for the little mods shown in the picture. My friend, Rolf Jacobson, got one, and when I saw the pics of his I knew I had to have one . . . or two.

Ray, my pride and joy of "dreamed up tying stuff" is a sewing machine needle with a small magnet lashed to it with tying thread that I mounted on a thin dowel. Its sole purpose is for picking one or two hooks out of one of those miserable little baggies or from my hook holding box. I've used it for at least 35 years now, and I would be lost without it.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Eric - Can you post a picture of your custom "hook getter". I magnetized the tip of my tying scissors, for the same purpose. My tying scissors are always in my hand while tying. When I need a hook, from one of the little bags, I simply poke the end of my scissors down in to the bag and pull out a couple hooks. They cling to the scissor point until I transfer them to the vice, or a little magnet on the base of my vice.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:21 am

Fellows,
This thread is fantastic! The responses that you all have given are revealing and very interesting! Your individual "quirks" come together in the form of world class patterns that simply can't be beat! I am excited about this thread! If you haven't jumped in just yet, get right in there and tell us your styles and quirks that make your work so very special! Photo's are good and desirable along with your text!
With great admiration for everyone,
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:31 am

letumgo wrote:Eric - Can you post a picture of your custom "hook getter". I magnetized the tip of my tying scissors, for the same purpose. My tying scissors are always in my hand while tying. When I need a hook, from one of the little bags, I simply poke the end of my scissors down in to the bag and pull out a couple hooks. They cling to the scissor point until I transfer them to the vice, or a little magnet on the base of my vice.
Here ya go. Crappy picture, but you get the idea. This magnet is very weak; barely holds 2-3 hooks, so I can basically "brush" them off into that little hook cup on the vise base, then pick them out one at a time.

Eric

A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks Eric. I enjoy seeing home-made tying tools. Fly tiers are such an inventive lot.

DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:30 am

Eric,
It's beauty lies in it's functionality! If it works, it's beautiful! Thanks for sharing this with us! It's great!!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:37 pm

Here is one of my more "quirky" tying tools. Last Thanksgiving, while carving our family turkey, I spotted the large needle which was used to hold the cavity closed at the neck of the bird. Once dinner was over, I snagged the needle and have been using for tying. It makes a great bodkin, and the loop at the end had come in handy for twisting dubbing loops and wrapping them on the flies. It is great for reinforcing peacock herl bodies with a thread dubbing loop.

So next time your cooking a turkey, remember that it comes with a free bodkin/dubbing twister.

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:57 pm

I do not know if this qualifies as a quirk, but I hate paying Fly Shop prices for Z-Lon. I just do not use enough of it to buy it. Even at a couple bucks, I am stuck with a couple colors that I just do not use that often.

Years ago I used polypropylene yarn for indicators. White and Tan are the colors I always used. When the Thingamabobbers (Bobbers) came out, I got lazy and started using those when an indicator was needed. I had a few feet of poly yarn that would never be used again. As I was about to throw it out it occurred to me to try to use it on my nymphs. Sharpies became my friends. :-)

Leg Material

Wing and Tail material
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:49 pm

What a great tip!

Thanks Wayne.

chase creek

Post by chase creek » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:34 pm

QUIRKS? YOU WANT QUIRKS?
Well, I usually try to wear UN-matching socks when I tie. I also part my hair on the LEFT side when I tie.
Here's a photo of some tools I have adapted to the bench - The one with the white handle (buffalo tooth) makes a dandy small nymph rougher-upper; the tweezer on the top is great for pulling dubbing out of those small holes in a dispenser and works great to arrange dubbing on the Clark's block. The Tweezer on the bottom jaws are parallel when closed. Useful when putting feather or fur into a loop. All are from a dentist office. Take your dentist this picture and ask him if he has any he would like to give away to a good cause (you). The "rougher-upper is a small drill-like thing they use for root canals. Get the largest one he'll give you.
IMG_7684.JPG
IMG_7684.JPG (197.39 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
IMG_7687.JPG
IMG_7687.JPG (151.96 KiB) Viewed 5716 times
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold