Short Shank vs. Longer Shank hooks

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Short Shank vs. Longer Shank hooks

Post by Old Hat » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Understanding that there really isn't a standard but are you tying on standard length, standard gape generally then? I remember the discussion we had on point to eye relationship.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:31 pm

Greenwell wrote:Everything anyone needs to know about trout hook mechanics is in Datus Proper's, "What the Trout Said". It was profoundly influential and his conclusions are hard to refute.
Everything anyone needs to know about fly tying period is in Datus Proper's What the Trout Said. Best fly tying book I know of, and there's not a single fly pattern in the book!

Then again, I may have a Proper problem...

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:16 am

Ahh. The Ransome book catches my eye.....
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:56 am

ThirdMeadow wrote:
Greenwell wrote:Everything anyone needs to know about trout hook mechanics is in Datus Proper's, "What the Trout Said". It was profoundly influential and his conclusions are hard to refute.
Everything anyone needs to know about fly tying period is in Datus Proper's What the Trout Said. Best fly tying book I know of, and there's not a single fly pattern in the book!

Then again, I may have a Proper problem...

A good problem to have, ThirdMeadow.

Mr. Shaner is correct on the Proper book. It was a revelation for me as I'm sure it was for everyone else.
Also Fly Fishing Outside the Box by Peter Hayes is a fantastic read as well.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:31 am

Interesting that short hooks are used at all for Soft Hackles being the book is so persuasive.

I have not noticed any problems with using short hooks up till now, but will start paying more attention to them vs longer hook in relation to hook ups.

I normally look at the bug I want to imitate, take inventory of what hooks and hackle I have available, then tie the flie. Worrying about hook length never entered the equation.Perhaps it will now.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:03 am

That book case makes me feel a little better about my own bent for duplicates. The Proper book really does help me consider aspects of the sport I hadn't realized were even an issue. It's been a couple years, I need to read this one again. This and his other writing reads like the generous heretic willing to share if you care to ask.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:42 am

Old Hat wrote:Nope, I think we are in agreement, that's how I meant it anyway.

Big fish are over-rated. There, I said it. :D
There's nothing prettier than an 8 inch brook trout in fall colors.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:00 pm

They are a real treasure.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:45 pm

ThirdMeadow wrote: "Everything anyone needs to know about fly tying period is in Datus Proper's What the Trout Said. Best fly tying book I know of, and there's not a single fly pattern in the book!

Then again, I may have a Proper problem..." (TM, I only have one more copy than you do.......LOL! Have you ever seen the English edition, or the Deluxe from Easton Press?)

The only problem with Proper is that too few people read him. But then that may give his readers an advantage their brother (and sister) anglers don't have!

I've often thought that I would build a "perfect" bookshelf, comprised of all one really needed to have to be well founded in angling and fly tying theory; say 20 titles. All the books would have to be enduring and have stood, or be able to stand, the test of time. Meadow has a great start! My first choice would be "Way of a man with a Trout". Add to that Proper of course, both of Marinaro's books, Sawyer's "Nymphs and the Trout", Schwiebert's "Trout", Woolley's "Modern Trout Fly Dressing", Kissane's "Drag Free Drift", Rob Smith's new book "North Country Trout Flies", Schullery's "The Rise", and perhaps Taverner's "Trout Fishing from All Angles". Flesh it out with the rest of Skues, Schwiebert's "Nymphs", second edition, Fogg's "A Handbook of North Country Trout Flies", Martin's "Fly Tying Methods", Lee's "Lore of Trout Fishing", and finally Hayes' "Fly Fishing Outside the Box" and you'd have, at least in my highly biased opinion, (I'm sure no one has ever accused me of bias!) the most important and useful trout fishing books available.

I'm sure I've missed some and there may be disagreement with my choices, but I have learned more from the books listed above than all the (many) others in my library. What sets all these books apart from the run of the mill stuff is that while offering a great deal of information, more importantly they get the reader thinking about how to solve problems for himself. And that, to me, is what fishing is all about.
redsedge

Post by redsedge » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:29 pm

This has really developed into a great thread! Thank you, John, for your "perfect bookshelf." I have to add that when I first saw the title to this thread Datus Proper immediately came to my mind. I have read What the Trout Said some several times and cannot agree more with the positive things said about this book.
Cheers.