head cement

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Norm Frechette

Re: head cement

Post by Norm Frechette » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:54 pm

grifs thin or black duck traditional head cement (pharmacist formula replacement)
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:14 pm

IT SOUNDS LIKE EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE BOTTLE OF EACH, WATER BASED VS. LACQUER BASED, LYING IN WAIT ON THE TYING BENCH. THE WATER BASED PRODUCTS ARE NICE BUT I'VE NOTICED THAT AFTER A SHORT DRYING TIME, THEY DRY A LITTLE "HAZY". THE STD. "SMELLY" ONES (I LIKE THAT DESCRIPTION) DO A GREAT JOB PENETRATING THE THREAD WRAPS AND DRY WITH JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF GLOSS. DRAWBACK? YOU LOOSE A FEW BRAIN CELLS IN THE PROCESS. IS IT WORTH IT? I SINK THO...
NEARLY BRAINLESS IN THE DEN,
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
RnF

Post by RnF » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:21 pm

http://www.offthehookflyshop.com/frvonschece.html

This stuff is by far my favorite head cement. It's solvent based. The thing that I love about this stuff is that it doesn't change the way the fly looks in any way. Water penetrates the cement so the colors of dubbing and thread will change the way you would expect them it too, but it will still hold everything together quite nicely. I wouldn't say it's the most durable stuff out there, but it's great to work with and does the job. I have used numerous other cements and I won't use anything else.

Of course if you wanted certain affects the other stuff can be good too. But this is what I use on 95% of my patterns.

The one knock I would have is that the built in brush allows too much of the cement to escape when you apply it, so you tend to waste a lot of it. The bottle won't dry up on you either as long as leave the cap on unlike many other brands.

The body of this pattern has this cement on it. You probably wouldn't have ever guessed it was applied.

Scott D
tbar24

Post by tbar24 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:58 am

thanks for sugestions everyone, now i definetly have a lot more to think about for the next time i but head cement
Silver Doctor

Post by Silver Doctor » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:19 pm

For commercial ties I use salleys. For most of my wets I’ve taken to using Minwax Polycrylic. It’s water soluble seals nicely with no smell and non flamable. I quite like it. Not a high gloss finish but rather a nice sealant that penetrates well.
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/
carlp5351

Post by carlp5351 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:05 am

I prefer Griffin thin cement for most of my tying. I also use Salley Hansens. For A shiny head I use Wapsi Gloss coat.

carlp
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:49 am

well, i don't know if anyone else does this but i just apply a little dubbing wax to the tying thread and then two small whip finishes or half hitches. out of curiosity does anyone else do this?
VERN-O

Post by VERN-O » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:00 am

I'm a super glue guy.....Sally sits next to the bench as well, but I find the quick drying of super glue to be perfect for production tying
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:00 am

Gentlemen,
There was, years ago, a warning of not to use super glue types on flies. I know many use it. The reason was that that particular type of glue was not totally waterproof. In fact if I remember correctly, this type of glue took on or was softened in water after exposures. It suggested using epoxy for gluing objects onto flies like eyes, etc. I'm not sure if this is still the case or not. Anyone have more insight.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:42 am

Soft-hackle wrote:The reason was that that particular type of glue was not totally waterproof. In fact if I remember correctly, this type of glue took on or was softened in water after exposures.
I've heard this from a number of sources, and while it may have some basis in fact, I've used it in numerous applications for years and to date I've never seen it breakdown, become cloudy or dissolve. That said I wouldn't use it where you would "build up" several coats (lacquer and epoxy are far better suited for this task), or use it to attach something to a fly without some other form of support (i.e. thread or epoxy).

My $0.02,

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)