The Nemes Challenge

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

zen leecher

Re: The Nemes Challenge

Post by zen leecher » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:23 am

I would give Jim a call at Tel:(406) 646-7258 as I bought one from him last summer in June. Some of you might remember him as the head cook on that trip.
jong4029

Post by jong4029 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:06 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
Ruard: I only got a small section at the top of the neck, But will look at it to see if maybe the lowest feathers will work for a hackle. Will be looking for a decent neck soon.
tie2fish: I am heading for the bench ASAP to try it. Looks really cool. Wonder is New Mexican trout will like it?? :)
Will definately be waiting to find a snile skin more reasonable, and will call Jim also. We have these doves around that look as big as pigions, but think they are between a morning dove and a pigion, but look like a morning dove on steroids and a ring on their necks. Got the pellet gun ready. 8-) Also looking for a mud duck or some call them coots. But gotta go to the lake for one of them.
We are getting the camper trailer ready for a long fishing season. :D Got a graduation in Roswell the middle of may which is not in a good trout area, so it will be a quick one if at all. Plenty of Aliens though. Then back to the north and trout. Got the wife ready to take pics with her new camera. Bought myself a new book Photography for Dummies. Maybe I can learn to take pictures of flies soon.
Thanks again
Jon
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:31 pm

redietz wrote:
jong4029 wrote: Dang luck, wish I could find the same thing in the old soft hackle feathers. English snipe was 125.00 :roll: .
You should be able to find snipe a lot cheaper than that.

There's no real difference between American ("Wilson's") and English ("Common") other than one has one more feather in its tail than the other. The different ornithological groups have been going back and forth for years about whether they're the same species or whether that one tail feather makes them different species (current opinion is that they're different, but there's not 100% agreement.)
"English snipe" could be either "Common Snipe" or "Jack Snipe". The pattern "Snipe and Purple" originally used "Jack Snipe", but I think what has been available for sale mostly has been the more common "Common Snipe". There is a seller from Northern Ireland who occaisionally lists both varieties, as well as "Golden Plover" and other skins.

dd
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:46 pm

daringduffer wrote: "English snipe" could be either "Common Snipe" or "Jack Snipe".
True, although dressings that call for Jack Snipe usually specify it as such. I've never seen "Common Snipe" called anything but "Snipe" in a materials list. (And I don't believe I've ever seen Jack Snipe for sale.)
Bob
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:31 pm

jong4029 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.
Ruard: I only got a small section at the top of the neck, But will look at it to see if maybe the lowest feathers will work for a hackle. Will be looking for a decent neck soon.
tie2fish: I am heading for the bench ASAP to try it. Looks really cool. Wonder is New Mexican trout will like it?? :)
Will definately be waiting to find a snile skin more reasonable, and will call Jim also. We have these doves around that look as big as pigions, but think they are between a morning dove and a pigion, but look like a morning dove on steroids and a ring on their necks. Got the pellet gun ready. 8-) Also looking for a mud duck or some call them coots. But gotta go to the lake for one of them.
We are getting the camper trailer ready for a long fishing season. :D Got a graduation in Roswell the middle of may which is not in a good trout area, so it will be a quick one if at all. Plenty of Aliens though. Then back to the north and trout. Got the wife ready to take pics with her new camera. Bought myself a new book Photography for Dummies. Maybe I can learn to take pictures of flies soon.
Thanks again
Jon
Eurasian collared doves are invasives up in WA state with no limit nor season on them.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:43 pm

I had a nice snipe skin a couple years ago, then Louie happened. He's got a radar for snipe and golden plover. Yea...it's my fault, partly. :evil:

Back to Doug's Neme's challenge. I tied some of these a couple years ago and gave them a drift once with no luck, but there were other factors and I wouldn't blame the flies. They should work great. Maybe I'll give them a solid drowning this season and let you know how I do.

Blackbird

Grizzly

Gotta love the brevity of the naming. :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:30 am

Maybe this weekend :)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:45 am

I must have read the same Nemes book. I tyed a couple partridge with Black thread many many years ago. They worked in small beaver dams.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:16 pm

I do not have the book but here is my tribute to the challenge:

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Wow, Ruard! That is spectacular.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"