magnification

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Re: magnification

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:29 am

Otto,

I place my vise such that the hook is positioned where it is the most convenient to get to for tying the pattern (99% of the time), not where it would be for the convenience of staring at it face on (very small percentage). You have to decide what is for you the "most convenient" position.

Cheers,
Hans W
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:30 pm

hans,
i am left handed, so the vice is always to my right and position it so that it is comfortable for me. thanks for the responses and being new to the forum i will have lots more questions. thanks again. otto
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:56 pm

BTW... on the topic of magnification, has any one tried the bifocal Maui Jim sunglasses recently? A friend of mine picked up a pair recently, and I found the quality to be excellent.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:07 pm

On the subject of left/right. I'm right handed and always have the vise on the left. Ran into a fellow one time who always faced the end of the jaws. He was a pretty good tyer. I tried it, but it just felt too awkward to work in that position. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. I guess, like a lot of things, it all depends on what you're used to.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:49 pm

skunkaroo wrote:BTW... on the topic of magnification, has any one tried the bifocal Maui Jim sunglasses recently? A friend of mine picked up a pair recently, and I found the quality to be excellent.

Aaron
Haven't used the Maui Jims bifocals, but I do have Smith Action Optics glasses with 2.25 magnifiers in the bottom of the lenses. I am just finishing the second season with them, and I've been delighted. Had a temple piece fracture after last season (pilot error), and I had a new pair from them within ten days -- no cost. Good people. FWIW, I do have a pair of glass lens Maui Jims that I've had for at least 10 years -- the frames were replaced once (after about 8 years) at a $40 charge, which I felt was reasonable. In fact, I was amazed they still had the same frames available.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:19 pm

I recently had to go to progressive lenses for every day wear. When I was in the chair, I asked the Eye-doc to up the highest magnification a bit to help with tying the small flies. I tie right-handed, with my vise to my left. My vise is also set below my chin, so I can keep my head level while tying. I had to lower it when I got my new specs, due to neck and back fatigue.

Kirk
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:53 am

I just got a new pair of bifocal glasses a couple weeks ago, and am still getting used to them. I haven't tyed with them yet so I am not sure how effective they are going to be. It still bugs me to have to tilt my head back to look at close up objects, but at least they are now in clear focus. I may buy a new pair of glasses (monofocal) just for fly tying...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Silver Doctor

Post by Silver Doctor » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:12 pm

I've been using a large magnifier on a goose-neck. Works great really helps these 60 year old eyes.
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/