magnification

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

newriverspey

magnification

Post by newriverspey » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:59 am

i had a question regarding the use of magnification when tying soft hackle flies and small flymphs. how many use magnification when tying small flies and if you do what type of magnification do you prefer? thanks in advance for your replies and comments. otto
Hans Weilenmann

Re: magnification

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:28 am

Otto,

No magnification. I am near sighted, so doing the small stuff is no problem. I do have to take my glasses off these days 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:31 am

Otto as Hans mentioned I also started taking off my glasses so as to focus better on the small flies. Eventually the need for bifocal's brought about the need for magnification not allowed for in the bifocal. A trip to the local Shop Ko discount store optical department had several choices of magnification in reading glasses. The lens' in these are soft though and one needs to be careful when cleaning them. Take a small fly along when shopping and get the pair that gives the clearest view at you normal tying distance.

Regards, Jerry
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:50 am

No magnifying glass; just a pair of 3.00 diopter cheap reading glasses. By comparison, my actual "reading" glasses are 2.25 diopter.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:19 am

Like the others, I prefer reading glasses (+3.75).
I've tried the circular lamp with the lens in the middle, and just a goose neck mounted magnifier,
but I seem to loose my depth perception using those. I don't have that problem with the reading glasses.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:35 am

thanks all for the response. i wear bifocal nows and will try to buy some reading glasses. guess i need to get use to the fact that i am getting old. i recently went to a fly tying show and observed someone with a magnifying lens and thought it would be hard to work around such a lens. i know this picture does not belong here but here is a picture of a brown i caught on a flymph in a near by stream. enjoy. otto
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:38 am

Hi,
I wear tri-focals. I do a lot of close-up art work as well as tying, and the tri focals help immensely. Those that need to take off their glasses when tying need at least bi-focals. Reading glasses are essentially magnifiers. Convex lens for near-sightedness; Concave for far sightedness. Concave lenses magnify.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:47 am

Mark,
Those that need to take off their glasses when tying need at least bi-focals.
Hmmm.... been there, done that, did not like 'm. When I tie flies, I like to look straight at the hook in the vise. I do not want to tilt my head backwards and look down to stare through the lower edge of my glasses.

Your mileage may, or clearly does, vary 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:04 am

does everyone position their vise to the immediate left or right depending on their dominate hand? just curious is all. i have seen some tyers position the vise directly infront of them, so they can turn the vice and view the fly head on.
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:26 am

Vise Left, dominant right hand.

I was concerned towards the end of last year when I noticed that my flies weren't turning out quite perfectly. I'd tye a fly, photograph it, view it on the computer, and see the missed wraps, trapped fibres and badly glued heads. It was getting to the point that I was starting to not enjoy tying.

Of course it was just my failing eyesight coming into play. My parents made it to 40 without glasses, I'm lucky to have held out to 46 before needing them. Now I use these gawd awful $3 dollar reading specks (+1.75 I think) and they help immensely. I still tye without them when I'm in a hurry, but they sure help when it comes time to make a quality fly.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)