BWO Soft Hackles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redietz

Re: BWO Soft Hackles

Post by redietz » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:21 am

I usually just use a pheasant tail soft hackle is a size 18 or 20. It hasn't failed me yet during a a Baetis hatch (and I assume that's the BWO you're referring to.)

I'll try to get a picture later.
Bob
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:00 am

John, these look fantastic. I've been fooling with pearl flash strands in the tail this season myself. Mostly in pale and tan caddis patterns and they've worked all summer. I usually shy away from extra bling but you can't argue with numbers. There are times when they like it.

Like Bob, I always like pheasant tail for this hatch, but Bill Shuck ties some little, dark green nymphs that have killed for him on spring creeks for years and they have me looking at my shades and profiles a little different lately. Your pattern strikes a nice balance.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:09 pm

John - Terrific pattern. Can you tell us what you used for the body/thorax on these? What size hook are you using? I'd like to tye up some of these too.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks John. I need to start a shopping list. I saw several other thing on that site that I "need". Thanks for the links, and the additional information.

Man, that is a nice looking emerger pattern. Very well done.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:33 pm

John,
Your patterns look fantastic! These are bound to be real foolers even on the most discriminating trout in the world! I really like your style of tying and the look of the end product! Have you ever dove into Sylvester Nemes' book "Soft-hackle Imitations"? In it, he list four distinctly different patterns for the same natural (the trouts preference, not his!) and lists them as follows: 1) Starling and Olive 2) Starling and Pheasant 3) Waterhen-Bloa 4)Blue-Winged Olive. There is also a mention made of the "Orange Quill" which was made famous (and possibly invented) by G.E.M. Skues! It is in chapter four and aptly named "Baetis! The entire book is a fascinating read!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:41 am

Those should do the trick for sure.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:45 am

Here is my Stewarts Spider variation tied for a BWO Soft Hackle. It has worked very well for me...

http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3250
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:18 am

Here's what I've been having success on BWO wise.

I really like the floss body here, especially when tied with a light/pale yellow thread underbody. Good stuff!
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:51 pm

John,

The bobbin is a CF design bobbin. They're pretty nice, very balanced in the hand and you can purchase a multi spool arbor for it. I loaded up some popular silk colors on mine, I like it.

The Hends and Hanak hooks really were never a favorite of mine. Too springy for me. I'm glad you like the FM hooks!