coot skin and wings

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

zen leecher

coot skin and wings

Post by zen leecher » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:03 pm

I just skinned a coot out today. The primaries look real interesting as they are a slightly different gray than mallard wings and also a bit softer.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: coot skin and wings

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:01 pm

Nice! Those should make some nice materials for some Clyde or Tummel patterns. ;)

How long do you cure the skin before you use the feathers?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:18 am

normally I just coat them with borax and when dry use them for tying. Coot is a bit different as they have fat deposits on between the skin and meat. I think it's because they are lazy. :shock:

I left the one wing section connected to the body and cut things at the end of that joint so there's less meat to dry out. I'd say it should take a month for things to get real dry. What I like about coot is the flank feathers are similar to tying with small heron or blue eared pheasant flank feathers.
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:12 pm

zen leecher wrote:normally I just coat them with borax and when dry use them for tying. Coot is a bit different as they have fat deposits on between the skin and meat. I think it's because they are lazy. :shock:

I left the one wing section connected to the body and cut things at the end of that joint so there's less meat to dry out. I'd say it should take a month for things to get real dry. What I like about coot is the flank feathers are similar to tying with small heron or blue eared pheasant flank feathers.
Don't forget the wing coverts.
Bob
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:26 pm

redietz wrote:
zen leecher wrote:normally I just coat them with borax and when dry use them for tying. Coot is a bit different as they have fat deposits on between the skin and meat. I think it's because they are lazy. :shock:

Don't forget the wing coverts.
I learned that trick two swaps ago as I needed a certain size and a certain shade for that swap. When I posted this thread I wondered what coot coverts looked like. If I flip the skin over I'd get borax all over the place. Hope I remember when the skin is dry.

Next coot that comes by gets shot.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:01 am

Coot have some very nice feathers. The stem creates a very good body. See my post:

http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... t&start=90

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:48 pm

I have a Cookskill coot I bought from Jim Slattery a decade ago. I haven't managed to put much of a mark on it, but I sure meant to. Sounds like you've made a nice score.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com