New member intro and I need some advise

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fly_fischa

Re: New member intro and I need some advise

Post by fly_fischa » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:35 am

Thanks Hans and Mike, appreciate your input and tips. I hear you on the flymph front and look forward to tying a few once I feel a bit more confident with my soft hackle wets. I've got a copy of Stewarts and also Pritts book and will have a read when I find the time, hopefully this weekend :D
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:24 am

From one Aussie to another welcome.
Great to see that a fellow countryman has finally seen the light and starting to use soft hackles and spider patterns. They work fine over there as I can attest to when fishing in Tasmania. Trouble is most Aussies cannot get their mind around using small slim flies.
Great tying by the way and some of the masters are on this thread.
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:08 am

Thanks for the welcome Philip, good to hear from you. I'll be trying my ties out this weekend on one of my favourite small streams.
Hope the browns like them ;)
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:58 am

Welcome on this forum fly_fischa. I like your pictures nice and sharp with a nice light in it.

About the liitle tag of thread: I let it there by purpose because I allmost never use any lacquer on my head. I make a dubble whip finish and let about 1 mm tag.

Curious how you do next weekend for the trouts.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:08 pm

Well. It looks like everyone else has covered the ground here, so I'll just say welcome aboard. Good luck this weekend.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:43 pm

Karsten,

Mike posted:
I actually rather like the effect of separating the hackle fibres like that with the thread. Although it is doubtless more difficult to achieve neatly than using other methods to lock the hackle. Gives the flies a little more of a "flymph" flavour, and on reflection may even allow the hackle fibres a little more movement. I certainly would have no hesitation in fishing with such flies. Interesting as well, because I have not seen anybody else tying hackles in like that. With regard to cosmetics here, then I would have made a somewhat larger and more clearly defined head on the fly, but again this is purely cosmetic, and a matter of taste.

It is far more common to see hackles tied in and locked down in such a way that all the fibres seem to spring from one narrow band around the hook shank
The message I would take from these two paragraphs is that there are a number of different look&feel results, and each those results may be achieved in one or more ways.

Let it be you, the tier, who decides on, and then proceeds to achieve, the desired result. Familiarity with the range of techniques provides one with the tool set to draw from.

I subscribe to the following alternative spelling of flytying: C-O-N-T-R-O-L. But then that should not surprise anyone here, methinks 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:39 am

Hi Ruard and Aaron thanks for the welcome, I'll report back on how my first soft hackle outing goes.
I subscribe to the following alternative spelling of flytying: C-O-N-T-R-O-L. But then that should not surprise anyone here, methinks
I hear you Hans 'C-O-N-T-R-O-L' - I'll try not to let the hackle dominate even if I have to be forceful with it! ;)