Details

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Re: Details

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:58 am

BOF (Birds Of a Feather) groups and discussions are alive and well 8-)

Lot of these types of exchanges took place at the BFFI show this past weekend. Lovely...

Not only tying stuff, though. I tied for two days next to Oscar Feliu, originally from Chile but a US resident for the past four decades. Oscar ties some mean flies, but is also a performing tenor and classical guitarist.

Dig a little deeper, show interest, and pretty much every person on this forum can and will share fascinating lives and skills ;)
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:53 am

It's a disease, Mike. A total infatuation and deep appreciation of the simplicity and underlying beauty of these flies that leads one to probe deeper. Those of us that share this adoration want to perfect our fishing and tying techniques as well as delve into the history of these flies.

It is great that we are able to share this information with our members, here, from everywhere in the world. It is the people, here, that make it work. I sincerely hope everyone appreciates the opportunity as much as I do to be able to converse with you all and learn more.

When I started this forum, I had little hope that it would develop into such a great resource and meeting place. It was just a thought of mine that because of the deepening interest in these flies that a forum like this was needed. I really appreciate having you all here to continuously educate me.

For those that are just starting out on the "road to wingless wets", I truly appreciate your presence as well because it is in the asking and answering of questions that ideas are brought into focus, fine tuned, and shared.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:07 am

Mike wrote:Just something which came up yesterday in conversation, and might be of interest. The more one learns about a particular subject, the more detail one may go into, and the more it becomes possible to discuss such things in detail with others who have the same interest.
Hi Mike,

This let me think about the next step: the more you know about a subject, the more you are aware of what you don't know about that subject. I am aware of the things that I not know trough all the threads I have read here. Thank you all and Mark especially for starting this forum

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:49 am

Interesting subject. I, being one of the "newbies" to wingless wets, or I should say classic wingless wets, really do appreciate the effort put forth here to share information and to educate. I've been tying for a number of years (started way before my hair turned white), but had never really given much thought to the historical aspect of the sport and the patterns involved.
Now, I find the more I learn about the history behind these flies, the more I want to learn. I wish I would have started down this path years ago.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold