Stripping Peacock Herl....

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

Re: Stripping Peacock Herl....

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:11 pm

That's really cool Ray! The photo's help alot. Correct me if I'm wrong...it's the needle side that's actually taking the flue off. Right? Or is it the cardboard side?
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Doug - It is actually a little of both. The needle-side seems to loose the fibers easier, but the are coming off the cardboard side too. Just repeat drawing the herl under the needle until the fibers are all gone.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:52 pm

Thank you Ray. I'll give it a try. Interesting note. We attended a wedding this past weekend and the young couples wedding program was printed on a very heavy white cardboard folded three times. This left at least two of the sides with no print and a beautiful white color. This got the wheels a-turning and I couldn't help but think of the photo's you posted with the dubbing needle stripping the peacock......it just goes to prove that even during social neccessities such as a wedding, our minds are never far from our true loves.......flymphs!
Thanks again Ray for sharing so freely,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
garyk

Post by garyk » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Thankyou for posting those photos...It really cleared things up!

Cheers,
Gary
Silver Doctor

Post by Silver Doctor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:10 pm

Here's a tip about this method, be sure to use fresh herl, if it is sun bleached or told and dry it will break easily.
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/