Rams Scrotum wool for Tups Dubbing, it really exists!

A forum to discuss natural and dyed materials used in the tying of various soft hackle patterns for flymphs and other traditional wet fly patterns, as well as where to acquire the materials.

Moderators: letumgo, William Anderson

Johnno

Re: Rams Scrotum wool for Tups Dubbing, it really exists!

Post by Johnno » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:46 pm

I’ve always thought the spaniel hair was part of the original recipe. And it would be from the English Spaniel, not those dreadful looking American things ;)
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:53 pm

One things for sure, Rams Scrotum hair is the essential ingredient. I suspect the Spaniel hair is only need if the Rams wool was not urined stained enough. The red could be from a couple of sources, the likely candidate being mohair the next being seal. I can understand why cream baby seal would be added given the colour of the Rams wool
Sorry to beat this to death and take up bandwidth, but I feel the need to be certain. TIC
Barry
If you under thirty and don’t vote labour, you haven’t got a heart, if your over thirty and you don’t vote conservative, you haven’t got a head.
Sir Winston Churchill
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:54 am

Theroe wrote:Barry - I also added some polar bear underfur...I have this old piece that is a crimson red. My mix looks very close to the original pictured in Bills post...im sending you a sample, so you can be the judge!
Dana
Dana,
if I didn't thank you before please accept my many thanks now!
I don't have any PB but i do have some scarlet seal.
Barry
Barry
If you under thirty and don’t vote labour, you haven’t got a heart, if your over thirty and you don’t vote conservative, you haven’t got a head.
Sir Winston Churchill
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:12 am

I’ve secured a supply of very nice soft cream seals fur. Now all I need is the Spaniel fur and I’ve got everything to make the original recipe Tups dubbing,
Barry
Sir Winston Churchill
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:40 am

Smuggler wrote:ImageTups Wool by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/155459457@N03/]

Barry's Tups Wool score.

Nice one!
You know, that looks like a roasted chicken breast in a chafing dish ...... :!: :!:
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:33 am

Theroe wrote:
Smuggler wrote:ImageTups Wool by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/155459457@N03/]

Barry's Tups Wool score.

Nice one!
You know, that looks like a roasted chicken breast in a chafing dish ...... :!: :!:
Lol, it doesn’t smell like chicken!
Barry
Sir Winston Churchill
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:14 pm

Howdy All;
Bazzer69 wrote:
Theroe wrote:

Barry's Tups Wool score.

Nice one!
Lol, it doesn’t smell like chicken!
Probably doesn't taste like Chicken either ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:57 pm

Everything tastes like chicken !!
Bazzer69

Found Lemon Spaniel!

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:03 pm

I have the final ingredient for the original Tups dubbing as published back in the thirties. Lemon Spaniel! I was at my local archery club weekly indoor shoot and lo and behold one of the members showed up with a twelve week old English Spaniel. What makes this more rare is that in California you cannot legally purchase a though breed dog. He is a lovely colour and he’s agreed to donate a little of his lovely soft coat!
Barry
Sir Winston Churchill
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:40 am

Barry - I for one cant wait to see your final product. Dana