"I dubbed Leisenring fashion"

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Re: "I dubbed Leisenring fashion"

Post by Jim Slattery » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:00 am

Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting on spinning blocks. There are a few things that I might differ with. First calling Halfords use of a spun loop a "dubbing loop". Clearly this is not Halfords intention, it is his method of making spun hair hackle, it even goes on to say that he used feather barbs as well. Best to call it a "hackle loop". Is Darrel Martin British? The statement that the spinning block first appeared in Leisenring"s book in 1941 is erroneous. I have not seen a second printing of the original book but guessing at the time frame the bock was not in that edition either. From what I've seen, if my memory doesn't fail me is that Hidy's block was concave, at the ends, at the very least. If you can , take a close look at the at the spun bodies in Liesenring's book, there is a roundness to his prepared spun bodies, with some spikiness, rather than spiky with some roundness. This ,to me , seems to be the lost subtly when the discussion of Leisenring and the dubbing loop is brought up.
Jim
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:31 am

Unfortunately, I could not see 100-102. The preview only goes to about page 50.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:43 am

Type in spinning block in the search box and it will take you there. Because this book is limited preview some of the pages are missing and you stopped at a missing page. Bill
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:22 am

Again, I have to say... the education continues! Thanks for the links. The information is so useful and if not shared in this manner, I most likely would have never found it on my own! I'll be playing with yet more and different ways to develop my fly tying!
And by the way, the rest of that book reference was great reading! I had to add that one to my Christmas List!
Thank!

P.S. Don't let me get in the way of the discussion! Please continue!
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:47 pm

There is a page number in the link. Just put 100 in the page number .
Jim
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:45 am

Jim,

Not sure if Darrel Martin is British or not, but he lives about 15 minutes drive from me. Very nice fellow. Taught me how to make snoods for horsehair lines using his Walton's Engine and by hand.

REE