Tying Question

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

dj1212

Tying Question

Post by dj1212 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:21 pm

Noticed a couple flies in one of the old North country pattern lists that call for a dubbed hurl (sp. herl?) body. Does this mean the standard method of twisting together feather fibers and winding up the hook or something else? Thanks.

Love this forum!
Old Hat

Re: Tying Question

Post by Old Hat » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 am

Usually this was done by twisting the herl with the thread and wrapping that way. Many contemporary tiers will wrap the herl then rib with the thread.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:25 am

I think, although I could be wrong, that the term "dubbed" in the early literature was a general term that meant "applied to the hook" (or thread) without specifying exactly how it was to be done. Perhaps tiers of the day had a technique for doing this with herl of all types that they all understood and practiced; what Carl describes would seem to be the most logical way.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
wsbailey

Re: Tyinng Question

Post by wsbailey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:01 am

This book might help with your question.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Nd6Ac ... &q&f=false
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:44 am

wsbailey wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:01 am This book might help with your question.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Nd6Ac ... &q&f=false
The definition of "dub" used as a verb given in this reference book certainly reinforces the meaning that most of us think of, but it does not address the use of the word when applied to applying herl to a hook shank.

When I first saw this tying instruction in an old recipe several years ago, I actually thought it might mean applying the beautiful green leavings from stripping a peacock herl to a thread using tacky wax. Take my word for it -- this doesn't work very well.

I have since interpreted "dubbed with peacock (or heron or whatever) herl" to mean wrapping it around the hook shank, whether that be alone or with some form of reinforcement. I am most certainly open to being corrected.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
wsbailey

Re: Tyinng Question

Post by wsbailey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:04 am

From "A Treatise of Fishing with an Angle"

These are the 12 flies with which you shall angle for trout and grayling. You shall dub them as follows. (dress)

The black leaper. the body of black wool and lapped about with the herl of the peacock tail: and the wings of the red capon with a blue head. (technique)

http://www.hagstone.net/bernersmay3.jpg
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:38 am

dj1212 - FIrst off, welcome aboard. I'm delighted you've jump right into the conversation.

Do you know the name of the pattern where you saw the dubbed herl listed? We might be able to be more specific if you could provide a picture or link to the pattern.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:45 pm

dj1212, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum! Good to see the gene pool is growing.

As Ray mentioned, good to see a new member jump into the forum with questions,
keeps us from getting stale and rutted. Be sure to explore all the different forums
contained herein, and be on the look out for a sub forum from one of the bottom listed
on the main page.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:55 pm

A lot of Pritt's are dubbed with herl - peacock, magpie and heron etc.
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:32 pm

"When I first saw this tying instruction in an old recipe several years ago, I actually thought it might mean applying the beautiful green leavings from stripping a peacock herl to a thread using tacky wax. Take my word for it -- this doesn't work very well."

This is exactly why I asked this question! I have always tied in herl by twisting the long feather fibers with the thread and wrapping up the hook. When I saw the term dubbed with herl I wondered if what you describe above is the method they were describing. I think one of the old black Gnat patterns calls for the thread to be sparsly dubbed with black herl. I was just curious what others thought of this.

Thanks for the replies.