Hackle Pliers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: Hackle Pliers

Post by daringduffer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:31 am

My trouble when tying flies are the tools you cannot buy - my hands are not that steady. When I started to use fragile hackles the problem became serious. Eventually I found a solution that worked. I had tried the Tiemco Ring Hackle Pliers but still had problems with hackles slipping. I then bought the C&F Midge Biot Pliers. From now on the slipping was history but I still sometimes broke hackles due to shaky hands. But there was a remedy for this in combining the best from both. The Tiemco rubber ring is made from much softer material then the C&F ring. I switched the two rings and now rarely break a hackle. The elasisticy and firm grip in the "Tiemco C&F Ring Hackle Pliers" put an end to my trouble.

(I also use the C&F Rotary Hackle Pliers. I switched jaws between them and the Midge Biot Pliers in order to make them more slick. I like to experiment).

dd

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:47 am

Yes, there are many MANY nice tools on the market - but i too have the same issue with shaky hands...sometimes! The best solution IMHO is the humble rubber band, preferably a well used red one, similar to the type used for a rolled newspaper.
I loop one through the hackle pliers' "finger end", then put my finger in the rubber band. Works like a charm.

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm

For the past 15 years I have been using almost exclusively the black, tear-drop shaped hackle pliers by J.Dorin. They used to come in a small and large, but in the past few years I've only seen them for sale in large. I've bought and still have half a dozen and I never want to be without them. They have a tendency to allow a hackle to slip if you do it right, which is always my preference over having a hackle break. Even the slightest little starling hackles can slip right out the end without breaking. Mostly they hang on without issue. The finger hole is roomy and as my fingers keep getting chubbier I appreciate that more and more. :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Premerger

Post by Premerger » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:13 am

The one I've found most useful for smaller hackles is the basic Stonflo model.

Your J. Dorin ones look nice William.
How hard can it be?
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:23 pm

Premerger wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:13 am The one I've found most useful for smaller hackles is the basic Stonflo model.

Tim, I'm not sure what I would do if I ever wore out the J Dorins I use. I have half a dozen and if I ever found them available again, I'd probably snag them. I haven't seen them in years, just the know-offs. Hope you're doing well. Cheers.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
ronr

Post by ronr » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:13 pm

I've lucked into a pair of Dorans.. one large and one small I do use the small a lot... but those Home Depot easy pliers find their way onto a lot of small hackles..
Premerger

Post by Premerger » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:01 pm

William Anderson wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:23 pm
Premerger wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:13 am The one I've found most useful for smaller hackles is the basic Stonflo model.

Tim, I'm not sure what I would do if I ever wore out the J Dorins I use. I have half a dozen and if I ever found them available again, I'd probably snag them. I haven't seen them in years, just the know-offs. Hope you're doing well. Cheers.

w
We're well thanks William.
Here's a photo of the Stonflo ones I like for small hackles.

How hard can it be?
ssj

Post by ssj » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:14 pm

Tyflyz toolz hackle tweezers. Best hackle pliers I have ever used. You can get them at J Stockard.
Tyflyz toolz hackle tweezers.jpg
Tyflyz toolz hackle tweezers.jpg (64.6 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
davidriley

Post by davidriley » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:28 am

ssj wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:14 pm Tyflyz toolz hackle tweezers. Best hackle pliers I have ever used. You can get them at J Stockard.
Tyflyz toolz hackle tweezers.jpg
I too can vouch for these. I bought them a few weeks ago and am very impressed. I tie a lot of small flies using small and delicate hackles. They are fantastic.

David