Yellow Spiders

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

User avatar
letumgo
Site Admin
Posts: 10030
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York
Contact:

Re: Yellow Spiders

Post by letumgo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:09 am

Thank you for adding the additional instructions. Very helpful, and you make it sound simple and like a lot of fun. Makes me want to play and make a mess in the kitchen! My wife is not going to be happy. :twisted: :D :lol:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"Casting a fly rod in these tight quarters takes patience (swearing quietly to ones self helps too)."
dj1212
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Re: Yellow Spiders

Post by dj1212 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:33 am

Yes, thanks for writing more about the dye process. I have to try it. I like the idea of dyeing with natural materials. Thanks again.
wsbailey
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:30 pm
Location: Fort Wayne Indiana

Re: Yellow Spiders

Post by wsbailey » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:49 pm

In his book on dyeing; A K Best warns that any accidents can incur the fiercest wrath. Turmeric will more or less permanently stain anything including countertops.
Mike62
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Re: Yellow Spiders

Post by Mike62 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks for the additional instruction! Living where I do I have an over abundance of grouse (I limited out before noon yesterday) and I have a 48' greenhouse full of vegetables that I'd love to re-purpose; using natural ingredients to dye materials sounds like a wonderful fall/winter activity.
wsbailey
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:30 pm
Location: Fort Wayne Indiana

Re: Yellow Spiders

Post by wsbailey » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:10 pm

To say I'm serious about natural dyes would be an understatement. At one time I harvested black oak bark from logs. I probably sold about 300 pounds of it. I have most every common natural dye and some unusual ones too.
Greenwell
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: Yellow Spiders

Post by Greenwell » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:23 pm

Item #1: There is a new book in the "Angling Monograph" series published by Coch-Y-Bonddu Books called "NOTES ON THE USE OF NATURAL DYES FOR DYEING DUBBING MATERIALS. BY BRIAN BURNETT." Haven't seen it yet but the books in the series are quite interesting.

Item#2: I have one of Oliver's Yellow Spiders that he gave me on one of the occasions that we fished together. I'll try to photograph and post it. The hackle is a very pale yellow, much closer to a Primrose.
wsbailey
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:30 pm
Location: Fort Wayne Indiana

Re: Yellow Spiders

Post by wsbailey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:53 am

A fellow fly tyer dyer lent me a copy of Burnett's book on dyeing. I hate to say it but it really is a huge disappointment. Most if not almost all of the so called dyes in the book
are actually stains. The book is also disorganized and the methods cumbersome. I can't see any evidence that he even consulted a book on natural dyes. Again, I really don't like saying this but I would be doing a disservice otherwise. I just spent three days dyeing materials black. I don't mind putting forth the effort for the results. I didn't try any of recipes in Burnett's book becaus to me it wouldn't be worth it. Many of the old fly tying books have dye recipes worth trying.
User avatar
Theroe
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Yellow Spiders

Post by Theroe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:01 am

Mike62 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:29 pm
Thanks for the additional instruction! Living where I do I have an over abundance of grouse (I limited out before noon yesterday) and I have a 48' greenhouse full of vegetables that I'd love to re-purpose; using natural ingredients to dye materials sounds like a wonderful fall/winter activity.
Mike
Try using muellion flowers-if you pick them right when they bloom and soak them in warm water they give an excellent yellow dye.
I always need dark and red grouse tails for tying the breadcrust patterns.
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
User avatar
William Anderson
Site Admin
Posts: 4541
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: Ashburn, VA 20148
Contact:

Re: Yellow Spiders

Post by William Anderson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm

dj1212 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:33 am
Yes, thanks for writing more about the dye process. I have to try it. I like the idea of dyeing with natural materials. Thanks again.
Same here. I've dyed some white materials in a yellow RIT dye, but haven't tried the spice cabinet. These really came out nice.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mike62
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Re: Yellow Spiders

Post by Mike62 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Theroe wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:01 am
Mike62 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:29 pm
Thanks for the additional instruction! Living where I do I have an over abundance of grouse (I limited out before noon yesterday) and I have a 48' greenhouse full of vegetables that I'd love to re-purpose; using natural ingredients to dye materials sounds like a wonderful fall/winter activity.
Mike
Try using muellion flowers-if you pick them right when they bloom and soak them in warm water they give an excellent yellow dye.
I always need dark and red grouse tails for tying the breadcrust patterns.
Dana
Hi, Dana. We actually have some Mullein growing here down on the abandoned rail road beds. That's a great tip, thank you! I've got a good start on this years feathers; I'll start a collection for you and ship them off in a few weeks if you'd like.
Post Reply