Split-thread spring caddis

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hankinsfly

Split-thread spring caddis

Post by Hankinsfly » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 am

Here is a very successful pattern for spring and summer swinging in Ozark tailwaters. The addition of the midge flash antennae is new. Had a trip this summer to the White. I gave my friend a few wets to fish, one being similar to these with flash antennae. He was in constant action, and every fish took the fly with the flash antennae. The abdomen/thorax are both split-thread dubbed with hare’s ear plus (old pack of dubbing I’ve had for years, just loose hare’s ear with some type synthetic blended in. The hackle is red-phase grouse. Green wire for the egg sack. Size 14 Kamazan.
Attachments
F0753612-FA22-401C-BD12-2ADEEEF6F897.jpeg
F0753612-FA22-401C-BD12-2ADEEEF6F897.jpeg (284.94 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Split-thread spring caddis

Post by letumgo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:45 am

Very nice! I’d fish those in a heartbeat. I like the combination of materials and colors. Innovative blend of modern materials and classic style.

Thank you for sharing an effective fishing pattern. Kudos.

Question - Do you have a preference for the flash color?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:48 am

Everything Ray said plus a question: Is the "red-phase grouse" the English bird or some American cousin?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Hankinsfly

Post by Hankinsfly » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Ray- I’m using olive, just because that’s what I have. Maybe black or brown or copper would be fine also. Tie2fish- I am unsure, I’m sorry. I need to do some more research. I was told there is a red phase and I believe a blue phase maybe. I have two skins which seem to match these designations. The larger bird, bought from BRF in W. Yellowstone, is a much larger bird withots if larger grey feathers. The other, much smaller is size and feather size, has lots of browns and partidge-type colors and markings. That was a gift, I think was bought from J Stockard.

I’m sorry for the photo quality. The photos don’t the flies much justice. They are much lighter than pictured with nice markings in the grouse.

I really like patterns tied completely with natural materials, and there are scores of great patterns here on flymphforum in the older posts. There are just some synthetics that have excellent qualities.
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:19 am

"Red phase" usually refers to one of the color variants of the tail of a ruffed grouse (which is, of course, an American bird):

Ruffed Grouse Color Phases

For example, the Breadcrust is properly only tied with red phase feathers.
Bob
Hankinsfly

Post by Hankinsfly » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:27 am

Redietz- thank you for this reply! Very informative. So I was incorrect in thinking it had to do also with body and wing feathers. And yes, both of my skins are ruffed. Can anyone post photos of other types of grouse skins?
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:28 am

Hankinsfly wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:27 am Redietz- thank you for this reply! Very informative. So I was incorrect in thinking it had to do also with body and wing feathers. And yes, both of my skins are ruffed. Can anyone post photos of other types of grouse skins?
English (Scottish) Red Grouse, which is the bird referred to as "grouse" in North Country fly patterns ...

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:36 am

North American Sage Grouse

Eurasian Black Grouse

North American Sharp-tailed Grouse

Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:58 am

Sage Hen (Sharptail)
Sage Hen copy.jpg
Sage Hen copy.jpg (449.2 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
English Grouse (dark)
English Grouse copy.jpg
English Grouse copy.jpg (412.7 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
Last edited by Old Hat on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:09 pm

WiFlyfisher wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:39 am
The entire bird has reddish-brown feathers, not just the tail.
There's nothing in the linked article to suggest that body and wing feathers aren't also red -- just that the tail feathers are used to distinguish between the five phases -- if you used body feathers, there's only be a red phase and a gray phase.
Bob