Split-thread spring caddis

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hankinsfly

Re: Split-thread spring caddis

Post by Hankinsfly » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Tie2fish, oldhat, and Wiflyfisher- thanks for sharing these photos. They are a beautiful bird.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:27 pm

I'm really enjoying this thread. I live in far off northern Maine, above Caribou. We have a very healthy Grouse population up here. I don't know that I've ever really seen a 'red' phase Grouse. I always think they look much rustier in the summer and 'gray up' as the season progresses into the monotone hues of winter. Of course I may be imagining this color change, too. As the season changes from the vibrant colors of summer to the harsher grayness of winter the birds seem to reflect the shades around them.

...at least that's the way I like to interpret it.

I limited out on Grouse before noon Saturday and spent the rest of the afternoon looking for rabbits. The only one I found had a beautiful Barred Owl sitting on top of it. I thought perhaps I could go back and collect the feet after the Owl was finished with his lunch but by the time I got back there, about an hour later, there was nothing left. Nature doesn't waste a thing.
Hankinsfly

Post by Hankinsfly » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 pm

Mike62 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:27 pm I'm really enjoying this thread. I live in far off northern Maine, above Caribou. We have a very healthy Grouse population up here. I don't know that I've ever really seen a 'red' phase Grouse. I always think they look much rustier in the summer and 'gray up' as the season progresses into the monotone hues of winter. Of course I may be imagining this color change, too. As the season changes from the vibrant colors of summer to the harsher grayness of winter the birds seem to reflect the shades around them.

I limited out on Grouse before noon Saturday and spent the rest of the afternoon looking for rabbits. The only one I found had a beautiful Barred Owl sitting on top of it. I thought perhaps I could go back and collect the feet after the Owl was finished with his lunch but by the time I got back there, about an hour later, there was nothing left. Nature doesn't waste a thing.
That’s awesome. Are grouse good to eat? And are you hunting over dogs? Pointers? I’d like to hunt some grouse sometime. In my part of Oklahoma, we have bobwhites- that’s it. And we’ve had some very low years for them. I don’t hunt as much as I did as a kid, but miss it and would like to jump back into it. Would also like to learn how to keep skins if they’re salvageable.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:47 am

Hankinsfly wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 pm
Mike62 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:27 pm I'm really enjoying this thread. I live in far off northern Maine, above Caribou. We have a very healthy Grouse population up here. I don't know that I've ever really seen a 'red' phase Grouse. I always think they look much rustier in the summer and 'gray up' as the season progresses into the monotone hues of winter. Of course I may be imagining this color change, too. As the season changes from the vibrant colors of summer to the harsher grayness of winter the birds seem to reflect the shades around them.

That’s awesome. Are grouse good to eat? And are you hunting over dogs? Pointers? I’d like to hunt some grouse sometime. In my part of Oklahoma, we have bobwhites- that’s it. And we’ve had some very low years for them. I don’t hunt as much as I did as a kid, but miss it and would like to jump back into it. Would also like to learn how to keep skins if they’re salvageable.
Grouse are great eating. They're a firm fleshed white meat, the flavor can be easily overwhelmed if you get too creative with seasonings. Timing is everything when cooking them; too long and they're dry as dust. We hunted with a Weimaraner for 11 years and had a ball, the dog was a natural and his enthusiasm was infectious. Sadly, he left us last year and his replacement hasn't been found yet. We're just walking old tote roads and overgrown clearcuts and orchards. I'm shooting my great grandfathers 20g Iver Johnson double. Great fun.

I'd love to know how to skin a bird, too! The best I can do is save the feathers and wings.
REE04419

Post by REE04419 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 am

Mike62, My wife and I just moved to central Maine (Carmel, near Bangor). Since moving in 10 days ago we've had our back yard torn up by about a dozen turkeys, and there's a pair of Grouse roosting in an Ash tree at the edge of the wood line. We've lived in Washington State for the last 20+ years, fishing there, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Looking forward to chasing Brook Trout with spiders and flymphs.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:35 pm

REE04419 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 am Mike62, My wife and I just moved to central Maine (Carmel, near Bangor). Since moving in 10 days ago we've had our back yard torn up by about a dozen turkeys, and there's a pair of Grouse roosting in an Ash tree at the edge of the wood line. We've lived in Washington State for the last 20+ years, fishing there, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Looking forward to chasing Brook Trout with spiders and flymphs.
You're in a great jumping off point to hit any number of wonderful watersheds. You can go west over to the Rangeley's, the Kennebago region, the Whites. You can go east and run over to Grand Lake Stream or Cathance Lake. Drive north (3-4 hours) and fish the Fish River system, the Aroostook, the St.John, and the Allagash.

...or, stay right there and fish the Penobscot watershed; fresh and the salt. The once mighty Veazie Salmon pool is still quite a draw and with the removal of several dams the fish have miles of previously blocked water to play in. Enjoy!

Your TU reps for Maine are: Kathy Scott, state chair. Jeff Reardon, Maine Brook Trout Project Director.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Skinning a bird.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks for sharing the link Bill. ;)

Here is another link, showing how Christopher Lee (cassady) process his bird skins:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5439&p=64975#p64975
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:59 am

This is a capercaillie, Tetrao urogallos, a big bird that is close to black grouse and sometimes hybridise with them. They are also known as wood grouse. They are plentiful this season and attack immediately when you come close. Once I walked into about a dozen of them and had to run. They are very aggressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_capercaillie

dd
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:00 am

Hankinsfly wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 pm

Are grouse good to eat?
Absolutely one of the BEST things to eat on Gods green earth. My hunting partners mom used to steam them in white wine with shallots & herbs from her garden....a heavenly dish to say the least. Every feather on the Ruffed Grouse has a use - and the quills from the tail and wings make the whole "Breadcrust/Breadbasket" family of flies, a locally VERY important fly. And it is a killer.
Most of my fishing is in NE Pennsylvania and the Catskills - I rarely see it used outside of NE PA......One day, I WILL make the time to start a new thread regarding this fly.
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....