Breadcrust

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redietz

Re: Breadcrust

Post by redietz » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Theroe wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:00 am ... a breadcrust (and other flies) given to me by Vince Marinaro, but thats a whole other story. Up to that day on the Letort ...
I don't suppose Mr. Marinaro gave you any idea about what he thought the Breadcrust represented? I only ask because he was not noted as a proponent of attractor flies.

I've done quite well with the fly on occasion in Cumberland Valley spring creeks.
Bob
Hankinsfly

Post by Hankinsfly » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Trifly- I often browse the forum on a slow minute at work, then chaos occurs and I forget to reply. Anyway, that is a very cool looking pattern and a great photo. I will be getting some full spectrum lamps to start taking good pics. What do you use for lighting and backdrop?
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:14 pm

To be honest, I wish I knew who the other guys were. And I wasn’t really tuned in to who HE was either! Truth of the matter is I was a clumsy kid, that was disturbing their fishing, and they gave me the flies to get rid of me - that would most probably be their side of the story !
Soft and wet - the only way....
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:18 pm

And I did have a few others, which I gave away to people over the years. A couple of interesting things I did note: a couple of the hackles appear to be dyed blue dun, and, a couple of the flies have clipped hackle - Common practice back then.
Soft and wet - the only way....
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:21 pm

I absolutely love that bread crust Dana. Your hackling, although completely a different technique, reminds me a lot of many Spanish wet flies with the coq de Leon fibers as hackle.

The Breadcrust in the collection without the touching turns looks just like a soft hackle pattern that I used in Central Oregon for October caddis. It was a wool body (same color) and I used a reddish brown d-rib.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:49 am

Trifly wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:35 pm Havent had a response in my past ten posts. Keep the record going folks. Keep wondering why your forum struggles.
The active members who post here regularly do not treat this forum as a chat room. General comments made about someone else's original post, unless they provide pertinent new information or pose a question, do not necessarily prompt everyone else to chime in just to say "I agree" or something similar.

When you post something germane that asks for or merits a response, you usually will be fairly rewarded, as you can tell from the comments you have received about this post. It just takes a little time usually,
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"