TE Pritt's Little Winter Brown

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redietz

Re: TE Pritt's Little Winter Brown

Post by redietz » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:50 pm

letumgo wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:14 pm In my experience, black Pearsall's silk has been a troublesome color. I had problems with thread breakage. The dying process may weaken the black Marabou silk.
I think that's long been the case. Ever notice how comparatively few patterns in Pritt or Edmunds/Lee call for black silk? Or wonder why Stewart's black spider calls for brown thread?

My understanding is that black was what they dyed their mistakes when trying for another color, so it was essentially processed twice.
Bob
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:22 pm

Makes sense.

By the way, the other reason I stopped using black Pearsall's silk, was that I simply switched to regular thread. I figured I did not need to worry about body translucency as much with the black color thread, so I got away from using black silk. It would probably still be fine for dubbed bodies, or as ribbing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 am

I get using the silk to copy the original recipes... but what benefit does the silk provide over other materials.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:59 am

ronr, Howdy;
ronr wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 am I get using the silk to copy the original recipes... but what benefit does the silk provide over other materials.
Translucence, subtle color shift when waxed ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:35 am

Both spools of black that I have owned, purchased from different sources at different times, were so fragile that it would require the touch of a safe cracker to use them. Oh well, back to Uni 6/0 ...
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pm

ronr wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 am I get using the silk to copy the original recipes... but what benefit does the silk provide over other materials.
There really isn't much beyond staying traditional really. There is some translucent property when wet. Which I think can be important for thread bodied spiders which show a lot of thread color. For dubbed bodies I don't think it makes much difference. When making the pre-made bodies for flymphs, the silk is waxed before twisting the dubbing strand. The silk holds the twist much better than other threads. If you are not making pre-made strands I don't see a big enough benefit over other threads.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:21 pm

tie2fish wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:35 am Both spools of black that I have owned, purchased from different sources at different times, were so fragile that it would require the touch of a safe cracker to use them. Oh well, back to Uni 6/0 ...
I don't think that I've successfully tied a single fly with black silk without breaking it at least once. I gave trying years ago.
Bob
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:52 pm

The reason black silk is so fragile is because it was dyed with logwood and iron. The iron is a metallic salt used as a mordant. Silk sutures are still dyed this way because this dye is natural. Just as iron turns to rust so too iron mordant corrodes the silk. At one time it actually was illegal in Europe to dye black this way. I once dyed some yarn using medieval dyes and methods for the Treatyse flies. The black yarn took three whole days so black was a very expensive color. It was worn by the clergy and other elites.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:29 am

I really enjoy knowledge!

dd
ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:10 am

Old Hat wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pm
There really isn't much beyond staying traditional really. There is some translucent property when wet. Which I think can be important for thread bodied spiders which show a lot of thread color. For dubbed bodies I don't think it makes much difference. When making the pre-made bodies for flymphs, the silk is waxed before twisting the dubbing strand. The silk holds the twist much better than other threads. If you are not making pre-made strands I don't see a big enough benefit over other threads.
thanks Carl... I've just received my order of wax and will be using silk to make some brushes...I've found the fish don't seem to know the difference between the silk bodies and thread bodies on my soft hackle... ;)