TE Pritt's Little Winter Brown

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

TE Pritt's Little Winter Brown

Post by joaniebo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:32 am

Maybe a little too much dubbing. (I love the old dressings!)

4. LITTLE WINTER BROWN; or LIGHT WOODCOCK.
HOOK – No. 1
WINGS – Hackled with a feather from the outside of a Woodcock's wing.
BODY – Orange silk, with a spare dubbing of Hare's ear.
Attachments
T E Pritt's Little Winter Brown.jpg
T E Pritt's Little Winter Brown.jpg (53.09 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: TE Pritt's Little Winter Brown

Post by letumgo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:52 am

Elegantly scruffy! (how's that for a compliment? wink)

Isn't it amazing, how so few materials can create such a great fishing fly? It is no wonder these old patterns have stayed around so long. Simple construction, but highly effective on the stream.

Keep 'em coming, please!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:01 am

I agree with the "too much dubbing" assessment; more orange showing through is important to the intent of this pattern.

That being said, these are really attractive flies to my eye from the standpoints of proportion (I like longish full hackle) and construction (tying skills).
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Hankinsfly

Post by Hankinsfly » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:53 pm

I agree with the above replies. Nice work. Thanks for keeping classic patterns alive. Art on a hook. I have never tied according to classic recipes by using silk. It’s great people are adhering to the old patterns.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Hankinsfly wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:53 pm I agree with the above replies. Nice work. Thanks for keeping classic patterns alive. Art on a hook. I have never tied according to classic recipes by using silk. It’s great people are adhering to the old patterns.
One of things I really like to do in tying the old dressings is to locate as many of the old materials (or subs) that I can so that I can "try" to do the dressing as close as possible to the original dressing. Needless to say, I now have LOTS of materials, many of which it'll take me forever to use up!
Hankinsfly

Post by Hankinsfly » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:42 pm

I understand a lot of the Pearsall’s silk goes for a pretty penny now. Is that true?
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:48 pm

YES, when you can find it. Some colors, including a few that are called for in many old North Country patterns, are virtually impossible to locate any more.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:49 pm

Hankinsfly wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:42 pm I understand a lot of the Pearsall’s silk goes for a pretty penny now. Is that true?
Yes, some of the colors (colours!) like purple, hot orange, black, etc. are selling for somewhat higher prices. But, a lot of the other colors are still available from soe people. That being said, there's lots of YLI 100 silk subs that work well .
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:58 pm

I believe flyhookfiller still has a couple of hundred black Pearsall's Gossamer spools left. :o

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:14 pm

daringduffer wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:58 pm I believe flyhookfiller still has a couple of hundred black Pearsall's Gossamer spools left. :o

dd
Not surprising. In my experience, black Pearsall's silk has been a troublesome color. I had problems with thread breakage. The dying process may weaken the black Marabou silk.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean