To "Make Buzz"

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

PhilA

Re: To "Make Buzz"

Post by PhilA » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:16 pm

John,
Ken Cameron wrote an excellent article for The American Fly Fisher in 1979 about archaic fly fishing terms that are little used today. His paragraph on "Buzz":

"Buzz: A fly "tied buzz" was often mentioned in nineteenth-century writing. In fly-fishing, it had one sense of palmer tied, even of palmer-tied with two hackles back-to-back for greater flare. This meaning may have some connection with a fly that "buzzes" on the water, the flared hackle imitating frantic activity; however, the word was seemingly more appropriate to a beetle, as in the Marlow Buzz fly. Whether this meaning derives in turn from the buzzing sound of flying beetles, I am not sure; there are at least two other meanings of "buzz" that pre-date its angling sense, one meaning a burr or teasel (and hence a visual similarity to a heavily palmered fly), the other meaning a bushy or hairy wig (and hence the same visual identification.)"
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:49 pm

I happen to favor the bivisible, or buzz style of fly -and I fish them quite frequently. Some I use tinsel for the body, others dubbing. I have found when using tinsel, leaving a small gap between wraps instead of using touching turns will allow the hackle stem to sit between each wrap, and afford it some protection from trout teeth. I then counter wrap with Silk, and it makes for a very strong, durable body. See my attempted sketch, attached.

Dana
Attachments
54284670-1700-4ABE-8E9C-A5BFBF6A7B75.jpeg
54284670-1700-4ABE-8E9C-A5BFBF6A7B75.jpeg (186.47 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
Soft and wet - the only way....
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Clever, Dana. Gotta try that!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 pm

Gutterman has some great products John- great idea, I will have to give that a try.
Soft and wet - the only way....
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:46 am

I'm a little disappointed after reading this whole thread.

I thought we were going to talk streamside scotch. ;)
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:28 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one Carl. :D ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean