experimenting.....and a new (for me) dubbing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

RnF

Re: experimenting.....and a new (for me) dubbing

Post by RnF » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:02 am

Ruard wrote:
RnF wrote: Not sure if I was hacked or not, but my site is down for now. I am pretty bummed about it, but it might be a good thing. There are a few things I wanted to change with it anyway. It can be rebuilt, but I may have lost a lot of work there and I am not sure how much time I have to spend to rebuild it.

Hi Scott,

Your site is OK again for what I see of it.

Greeting
It is, cheers!
Scott D
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Old Hat,

Really like drifting flymphs for steel. Your second one really strikes a chord with me. How about sharing that recipe?

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Good news Scott about your site and lovely flies, looks like they would be killers on a sunny day.

I forgot to mention that I also really like the ultraviolet Ice Dub dubbing also and it is wonderful as a mix in with naturals.
Ron Eagle Elk wrote:Old Hat,

Really like drifting flymphs for steel. Your second one really strikes a chord with me. How about sharing that recipe?

REE
Glad you like it Ron. Should have listed the material list with the pic. I need to get better at that. I would love to see some of your steelhead flymphs sometime.

Hook: Alec Jackson Steelhead Iron
Thread: black silk
Tail: Chukar (french partridge) belly feather fibers
Rib: gold braid
Dubbing: mix of hare's mask in a dirty yellow to match lower portion of tail fibers. Gradually getting darker with a shade of brown/rust toward the thorax.
Hackle: heavily mottled dark brown India hen hackle palmered through the thorax.

Carl
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:49 pm

Scott - I love the look of the SLF Hare's Ear pattern (the thicker one). Deadly looking pattern!

Carl - Those are some gorgeous steelhead flymph patterns. The one with the Chukar tail is stunning! I love the hook it is tyed on as well. Looks like a heavy duty iron. Is that one of your patterns? What is the name of the fly?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi Ray,
It is one of my patterns but I don't really have name for it. I just think of it as my chukar-tailed flymph. :roll: Very original I know. It also works well as a trout pattern tied considerably more sparse than the steelhead version. Works well for the local Timpanoga (great blue-winged red quill) hatch. This is what I originally tied it for and morphed it into a steelhead pattern with success.

Carl
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com