experimenting.....and a new (for me) dubbing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

experimenting.....and a new (for me) dubbing

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Gentlemen,
Being snow-bound today and after getting the honey-do list somewhat complete, I've been experimenting a little at the vice with different hook sizes and styles and dubbings. It's not been too productive except for the dubbing I've recently bought. It is called "Ice Dub" from Hareline dubbin, Inc. and it's fantastic! I realize that to most it may not be new but it is to me and that's one of the nice qualities of this sport.....we are always discovering and re-discovering products and proceedures. I just happen to be five years behind everyone else in product testing.
When the dubbing came out of the package, it seemed wirey. But, it behaved itself quite nicely and I ended up tying a half dozen patterns all with cigar shaped bodies just like I like them. The dubbing did well and I am pleased.
I also tied a couple of "monster flymphs" on size 8 hooks. I think I'll go back to 10's-12's and 14's.
What's everyone been tying lately? Hans, we know and can see what you have been up to! And we darn sure appreciate it! For those who can, post the pictures and receipes as always.
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
RnF

Re: experimenting.....and a new (for me) dubbing

Post by RnF » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:51 pm

I really like all the shiny dubbings that has come out. It sort of attracts me like bugs and the light zappers. The fish like it too though. Some if it is great and others aren't so great. But it's fun to play with and every now and then you come up with a killer combo the fish love.

Here are a couple of my patterns that I have used those types of dubbing. I have a lot of them and to be honest, I use those dubbings more than not lately, especially the peacock dubbings for the thorax. It's beautiful stuff. The second fly is one of my go to patterns.

Scott D
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:18 pm

Scott,
Wow! And thanks! Those patterns are really bright! I particularly like the first one. You talked about combinations. That's what I was having trouble with today....the right combinations. Creativity and originality takes a litlle longer for people like me. If immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.....I'm headed to the den....to flatter you. Thanks again.
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:50 am

I'm also an advocate of the new "shiny" synthetic dubbings, but use them mostly in blends with traditional furs just to add color tints and/or a little sparkle. Flies dubbed with the
synthetics alone seem to be too bright, and tend to put off the wild trout in the tailwater stream I fish most frequently.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:34 pm

tie2fish,
Thanks for the response and I couldn't agree with you more. The ice dub that I spoke about is a bit synthetic heavy but there is a moderate amount of natural (rabbit I presume) fur in the mix that seems to bind everything together just fine. I think the addition of antron to natural furs is one of the greatest inventions in a long time for the great sport of flytying/fishing.
Scott,
I discovered your web-site after I posted last night. Wow, that is some site. So many interesting patterns and other stuff too. I couldn't cover it all in one evening and I will prob. go there in just a little while. Again, thanks for posting the patterns that you did that led me to find your web-site. Great stuff guys, keep them coming!
Dougsden
RnF

Post by RnF » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:09 pm

tie2fish,

I would agree with ya. I love to put a little flash with most natural furs now, but too much flash or brightness can be bad too. BUT, it can be a good thing at times too. It really does depend on where you are fishing though. Just keep in mind that spin fisherman gear is really flashy, nothing wrong with putting it on flies too ;) I am not afraid to put some flash on flies.

Dougsen,

I am glad you like the site. I haven't posted much on it lately, but I did just recently change the look of it so there may be some broken pages for awhile until I can get everything fixed. I will be posting more stuff now that winter is here. I also got a new video camera to help me with video tutorials, so watch for more of those (uploading one to youtube as I type)
Scott D
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:50 pm

For some reason I can't see your pics Scott.

I like tying with natural materials. It's just amazing to me to see what can be done with what nature provides. With that being said though, I do dabble in the synthetics some. Ice Dub was the first synthetic dubbing I started to use years ago and is still my first choice. I only have one pattern that use it exclusively for the dubbing and it is in a stone fly flymph that has served me well for years. I use it sparingly as a hint of flash and texture in dubbing mixes mostly.

I do tie quite few of size #6-#10 flymphs though and fish them for steelhead. Trout techniques work on the steelhead as well. Spot the fish...drift the fly into place and lift it at the right moment. Great for steelhead in smaller water holding around boulders.

Here is my stonefly flymph using black ice dub.

Here is one of my favorite steelhead flymphs. It is a bit on the bulky side hackle and tail wise purposefully.

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
RnF

Post by RnF » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:27 pm

Nice patterns. I am going to have to try that black stonefly pattern. It looks fantastic.

You can't see them because they are no longer available. Not sure what's going on with my site. Apparently all the content has vanished. Not sure if I was hacked or not, but my site is down for now. I am pretty bummed about it, but it might be a good thing. There are a few things I wanted to change with it anyway. It can be rebuilt, but I may have lost a lot of work there and I am not sure how much time I have to spend to rebuild it.
Scott D
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:14 am

Sorry to hear that Scott. That's frustrating I'm sure. I hope it all works out for the best.

Carl
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:15 am

RnF wrote: Not sure if I was hacked or not, but my site is down for now. I am pretty bummed about it, but it might be a good thing. There are a few things I wanted to change with it anyway. It can be rebuilt, but I may have lost a lot of work there and I am not sure how much time I have to spend to rebuild it.

Hi Scott,

Your site is OK again for what I see of it.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl