Bronze Peacock & Young Starling

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Bronze Peacock & Young Starling

Post by joaniebo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Tied these quite a few years ago when I was able to find some strands of bronze colored peacock herl and then received a young starling skin from Cookshill.

Hook: Daiichi 1550 - size 14
Thread: Black Danville 6/0
Body: Bronze Peacock Herl
Rib: Gold Wire
Hackle: reyish / brown feather from a young starling skin
Attachments
Bronze Peacock & Young Starling.jpg
Bronze Peacock & Young Starling.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
Last edited by joaniebo on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tie2fish

Re: Bronze Peacock & Young Starling

Post by tie2fish » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:53 pm

That is a "can't miss" combination. Very nicely constructed.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Yep, that'll do it.

Love real bronze peacock. It is special.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Howdy All;

I looked at these and my next thought was the conversation of the squished
beetles ...

Very well tyed by the way.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Bronze peacock can be really hard to find in comparison to the standard green herl. There's an old trick for bronzing peacock; just put a few peacock eyes in a sunny window for a few days to weeks, depending on the intensity of the sunlight, and it should turn a nice bronze. Remember to turn them every so often so both sides catch the sunlight evenly. Of course, here in Upstate NY the process may take a few years as we very seldom see the sun any more! Sunlight will bleach most feathers and I well remember a Golden Pheasant cape that resided in an old fly shop window. Over time, it turned a beautiful pale blonde and the crest feathers became almost clear.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:48 am

Greenwell wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:03 pm Bronze peacock can be really hard to find in comparison to the standard green herl. There's an old trick for bronzing peacock; just put a few peacock eyes in a sunny window for a few days to weeks, depending on the intensity of the sunlight, and it should turn a nice bronze. Remember to turn them every so often so both sides catch the sunlight evenly. Of course, here in Upstate NY the process may take a few years as we very seldom see the sun any more! Sunlight will bleach most feathers and I well remember a Golden Pheasant cape that resided in an old fly shop window. Over time, it turned a beautiful pale blonde and the crest feathers became almost clear.
This is a quote from a previous post: "Preben Torp Jacobsen has written a nice book, "Fluebinding" (Flytying), which was available in a Swedish translation. It includes a chapter on hackle colours with illustrations and extensive descriptions" .......................... "He also writes that if a blue dun rooster is allowed to stay outdoors until early summer, the UV-light from the sun will give a rusty, or brassy, neck. The black pigment gets bleached but not the few red ones".

dd
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:11 am

Several years ago, put several peacock eyes on the dash of my car and left them in the sun for "several" weeks (in the middle of the summer). NADA, no color change. Some places dye the peacock herl a deep red / wine color as a sub for bronze but (to me) it just look the same.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:35 am

Approximately 10 years ago a friend gave me about a dozen peacock fronds, including some with eyes, that she got from an acquaintance who has birds. I stuck them in a large vase that sits roughly 10 feet from an east facing window that has lace curtains. After about 5 years of using herl taken from them I noticed that they were starting to turn a nice bronze color.

Today, what little is left is completely bronzed with a reddish tinge to it. Unfortunately, all of the really good quality stuff is gone by now :cry: . If I had known when I got them what would happen down the road, I might have saved more of the prime herl and been able to include some of it as a gift in a Secret Santa Swap :lol:. Alas, it was not to be.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:45 pm

This is just how I like my hackles! Very soft and "collapsible" around those beautiful bronze peacock herls! Wonderfully created and crafted patterns! Keep them coming!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.