Proportions for Traditional North Country Spiders

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

upstatetrout

Re: Proportions for Traditional North Country Spiders

Post by upstatetrout » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:06 am

1130180850a.jpg
1130180850a.jpg (125.25 KiB) Viewed 293 times
The Dotterel Blow tied on Daiichi 1480 hooks size 12, 14, and 16. I think that this picture represents reasonable North Country Fly proportions.
The hackle on this fly calls for Dotterel.This is unobtainable for me. I substituted a inner covert feather from a pair of Asian Jay wings that I picked up at the International Fly Tying Symposium this year in New Jersey.

Tom
Last edited by upstatetrout on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:11 am

Tom, very nice. What is the hackle you used?

John
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:18 am

WiFlyfisher wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:06 pm
PhilA wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:47 pm
WiFlyfisher wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am
Besides, that will make PhilA happy.
John,
I am indeed happy. I was fearing tungsten beads and a right-angled jig hook.
Phil
Phil,

Just think, some day your kids' kids will be reading old fly fishing books about beadhead nymphs and jig hooks. :lol: :lol:

John
John

Like these?

Bob
Attachments
Bead Thoraxed Hare's Ear SH Nymphs.jpg
Bead Thoraxed Hare's Ear SH Nymphs.jpg (143.09 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Bead Thoraxed Pheasant Tail SH Nymph - Natural.jpg
Bead Thoraxed Pheasant Tail SH Nymph - Natural.jpg (110.13 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:20 am

John4.jpg
This is a photo of my Partridge & Hares' Ear, size 14 TMC 3769, as I dress it now. The hackle is both longer and fuller than tends to be current for must tiers. My rationale for these proportions comes from examining and replicating traditional Spiders. Personal experience with flies dressed so is that they are, at least for me, both more effective and longer lived. (The colors should be a bit richer but for some reason look a little washed out, especially the hackle which is brown partridge back and not gray neck.)
John4.jpg (109.06 KiB) Viewed 264 times
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:34 am

Bob, I have seen you post those before on the Classic forum. I have never tried a soft hackle with bead in the thorax. Interesting concept.

I was once handed by a guide at Trout Hunter a size #18 PT nymph with a small black bead buried in the thorax. When the wind started to really blow during the PMD hatch out of desperation I tied it on and on the second cast I got torpedoed by a big rainbow.

John
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:35 am

Greenwell wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:20 am
Greenwells-Partridge-Hares-Ear.jpg
Greenwells-Partridge-Hares-Ear.jpg (48.63 KiB) Viewed 257 times
That is awesome!!! Thank you for posting.

I tried tweaking the colors using Photoshop. Hopefully that is closer to the actual colors.

John
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:37 am

That looks exquisite John!

Also, to note, one thing that needs to be considered is the hook that each person uses. You can look at diagrammed proportions on one hook, but remember, those proportions are for that hook. What looks like a long hackle on the Partridge Spider hook may not look like long hackle on another style.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:16 am

John,

Thank you for the color corrections, that's much closer to the proper richness. BTW, the photo was taken by Walter Hodges, one of the best outdoor photographers working today.

Hat,

I think that when someone posts a fly pic or pattern they should include the hook used for just the reasons that you stated. I will try to remember to do so myself.

John
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:45 am

Greenwell wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:16 am

I think that when someone posts a fly pic or pattern they should include the hook used for just the reasons that you stated. I will try to remember to do so myself.

John
Lovely tie, John ... typical of your exquisite spider work. As for posted fly photos, even though many of the more experienced tiers here can identify the components by looking at the photo, it's probably helpful to many more if all the materials are listed in recipe form. 8-)
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:08 pm

Galen1.jpg
Here is a fly tied by my friend Galen Mercer, perhaps the finest fly dresser I know. Galen ties very much in the Catskill tradition, exemplified by the "neck" of bare hook shank between the eye and head of the fly. It takes a lot of control to master this technique and yet Galen makes it look simple. I believe that the hackle is NA Woodcock and the body is of hares' ear, but knowing Galen as well as I do there's probably some obscure bit of something else in the mix. Hardly what one would call a "classic" North Country Spider but a beautiful. effective, and perfectly dressed fly none the less.
Galen1.jpg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 234 times