Hendrickson soft hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redietz

Re: Hendrickson soft hackle

Post by redietz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:53 pm

Light definitely has something to do with it. I've picked up quite a few Hendricksons that were floating by me (including some on Hendrickson's pool on the Beaverkill) and they appear olive to me when held one way and a bit pinkish when held another. Some have had a pinkish underside in the thorax only.

You may remember this discussion on SGM:

https://www.sparsegreymatter.com/viewto ... endrickson
Bob
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:36 am

I missed this post and am late to the show.

I think the issue here is that your photo is of fully developed duns and the pattern you tied uses a material and a style that will fish in a manner pre-dun. Nothing wrong with fishing that stage mind you but your insect example is not at that stage. The hook, silk, dubbing and softer hackle all put the fly under the surface a bit. The pattern is great and tied nicely but to me its more for these emerging insects not formed duns. I think this is what Karsten was saying as well. You have fully formed wings and legs and a bolder color to contend with. Different appearance than the stage they are in when swimming to the surface. Hendricksons don't present wings until they are completely through the surface film. You should be thinking of a design that keeps the pattern in the surface film, partially above and partially below.

I generally approach this 2 ways in keeping with our "wet fly" topic and both incorporate more wing mimicry than pre-dun stage would.

1. A flymph with stiffer genetic hen or low grade cock hackle wound through out the thorax, a tail and on a lighter wire hook. I select a hackle color that represents both the wing color and leg color. I think a nicely marked honey dun would be a good choice for these Hendrickson's. Even if you think a fish is picky about subtle color differences, they don't think "hmmm, honey colored legs and a dun wing, orangish body with distinct ribbing..looks like the right combination". I think if the right colors are somewhere on the pattern, you are good to go. I took this idea from Atherton years ago and my experience confirms it at least to me. If a fish is keyed into a color, as long as the color is there somewhere in the pattern, you have it covered. Atherton's patterns are like hedging the bets. The fuzzy body and stiffer hackle of a flymph tied this way produces a lot of surface area for the pattern to hold in the film. With the light wire hook and little floatant you are presenting right where you need to be for the emerging dun. For the body I would probably choose a subdued orange thread and and a dubbing color to fine tune the overall appearance.

2. The second way I fish this stage is with an upright folded winged wet. The body is constructed depending on the profile of the insect. Either a simple spider body for thinner insects or a more dubbed body for more robust insects. The Hendrickson is kind of in-between so I think what you have done is appropriate. I use the upright wing as a tool for presentation. You are basically building an "emerger" pattern like Karsten mentioned and there are all kinds of material you could use for the wing to achieve this presentation (deer hair, snowshoe hare, cdc, hackle fibers, antron (Ray's favorite)) etc. I like to use the folded upright wing. I will put floatant on the upright wing only, so the pattern is suspended just under the surface with the wing in and slightly above the surface. Again, a light wire hook is appropriate. I like the folded wing because when the pattern eventually sinks below the surface (and it will as most any emerger patterns will at some point) it is a great copy of a drowned dun. I fish this style upstream and dead drifted almost just like you would a dry fly pattern. For your Hendrickson hatch I would use the fly you tied, add a folded upright wing (probably starling) and change the hackle to match the color of the legs of the dun.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:00 pm

It is just a Clyde style folded wing but I'll try to tie one for you Hendrickson a get a photo up.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 pm

You can put it in front or behind your hackle. It is a rather easy method but very functional. Its how I did this Greenwell's.
41-A-Clyde_wing_fly.jpg
41-A-Clyde_wing_fly.jpg (208.93 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
reducedgreenwell's #16.jpg
reducedgreenwell's #16.jpg (97.13 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Liking this thread. :) I think that Clyde style Greenwells is a beauty!
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 am

I'm not sure.

The wing on this one is tied folded and upright but I don't think the fly itself is quite sparse enough for Clyde style. Just wanted to make that clear. I wasn't trying to tie the fly Clyde, just using that wing method on it.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:46 am

The Derbyshire style is very similar, and could easily be adapted to create a regional hendrickson variant.

Derbyshire Pattern: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6132

This whole thread is amazing John. I really enjoy seeing your fly patterns, along with the insect photos, then seeing the flies other members tye and fish with. Great discussion and examples by all.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:39 am

I realy like that fly Ray and yes this has been a great thread.

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:25 pm

That's a killer looking fly Ray. Look at the shadow that thing throws. What fish would pass that up? Best of both worlds in how I would approach the hatching duns with a wet fly.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:32 pm

'Clyde style', I learned something new today. Thank you.