Orange Caddis

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Orange Caddis

Post by ForumGhillie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:16 pm

I am amazed to learn how many orangish colored caddis adults we have in the Midwest. I have known about the October Caddis out West, but not the variety of orangish caddis species in the Midwest. (That is also true for out East from what I have read.)

For example:

Ptilostomis ocellifera (Giant Rusty Sedge) which emerges during the night during the Summer.

Also, Pycnopsyche lepida and Pycnopsyche guttifer (Giant Autumn Brown Sedge) which emerge in September.

After pupating it appears all this very large, size #8, orangish colored caddisflies crawl or swim to the shore to hatch into the adult. Many become trout food before making it to shore. Where these large orange morsels live trout are on the lookout for these high protein snacks all night long and maybe during the early mornings and evenings.

orange-caddis-pupa.jpg
orange-caddis-pupa.jpg (59.68 KiB) Viewed 431 times
Great-Brown-Autumn-Sedge.jpg
Great-Brown-Autumn-Sedge.jpg (59.47 KiB) Viewed 431 times
orange-caddis-pupa2.jpg
orange-caddis-pupa2.jpg (48.05 KiB) Viewed 425 times
So who ties big orange soft hackle patterns to imitate these big caddisflies???
tie2fish

Re: Orange Caddis

Post by tie2fish » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:23 pm

October Caddis Flymph - Swap.jpg
October Caddis Flymph - Swap.jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 409 times
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Bill,

Excellent!! Thank you for posting.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:07 am

So old, and still learning, that's impressive too.

dd
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:07 am

Anything in number eight
Is something to celebrate.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Saw this video last Fall and had to order the right hackle. Guess it would prbably be a good idea to do a variation with the orange hackles and dubbed orange / wire body!

https://vimeo.com/106876179
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:29 pm

daringduffer wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:07 am

dd
Are you calling me old??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

joaniebo. I like using a blend of awesome opossum orange and burnt orange for the body. I have caught the October caddis out West on the Madison and IMHO the video makes the body too dark.
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:28 pm

ForumGhillie wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:29 pm

I have caught the October caddis out West on the Madison and IMHO the video makes the body too dark.
That's not the "October Caddis" he's imitating though. In the east, the Large Brown Autumn Sedge is called "October Caddis" and that's what he's imitating. (It's a different bug than the "true" October Caddis.) I try to fish the hatch every fall and the color in the video is pretty much spot on if you're trying to match the color of the natural. I tend to make mine a bit more orange just to stand out.

I also find that I do slightly better with a dry version than the soft hackle, but have certainly caught fish on both. I'll also add that I fish the hatch on limestone spring creek with fish that can be might picky, but a bug this big can make them a bit stupid.
Bob
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:47 pm

redietz wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:28 pm
ForumGhillie wrote:

I have caught the October caddis out West on the Madison and IMHO the video makes the body too dark.
That's not the "October Caddis" he's imitating though. In the east, the Large Brown Autumn Sedge is called "October Caddis" and that's what he's imitating. (It's a different bug than the "true" October Caddis.) I try to fish the hatch every fall and the color in the video is pretty much spot on if you're trying to match the color of the natural. I tend to make mine a bit more orange just to stand out.

I also find that I do slightly better with a dry version than the soft hackle, but have certainly caught fish on both. I'll also add that I fish the hatch on limestone spring creek with fish that can be might picky, but a bug this big can make them a bit stupid.
Bob,

Thanks!

Yes, I am aware of the Large Brown Autumn Sedge (Pycnopsyche guttifer). We have it here in Wisconsin in the Fall, along with some other orange caddisflies. I realize aquatic insects vary from region to region and even from river to river. Common names can be misleading.

Also, these flies are all dry, not wet. Even mine darkens a lot when wet, which I take into account when creating the blend of dubbing.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:19 am

ForumGhillie wrote:
daringduffer wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:07 am

dd
Are you calling me old??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh yes, I am. Am I right, oh yes, I am. ;)

dd