Wax Question

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Wax Question

Post by Old Hat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:12 am

I have some of Jim's old wax beads. Some of you may remember them. They were about the size of tic-tac. Hard as a rock but softened nicely with a little work. I have a bag of shattered pieces.

Is there a way to soften these as a bunch and reform them into the small beads again?

I like them in the small beads because I hand them out to people who show an interest at the shows when I'm tying.

Can I heat them up in some water as bunch?
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
zen leecher

Re: Wax Question

Post by zen leecher » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:36 am

This might not work on your wax but the 721f wax I had that hardened softened up after I gave it some time in the microwave. It stayed easier to soften afterwards.

PS: pins came last week.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:34 pm

I've never used any of Jim's wax but what I would do is soften it in your hand and pull and stretch it like taffy. If it is still difficult to work you could add a little oil or fat; very little.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Old/New Hat, Howdy;

put them on a sheet of waxed paper and set them in front of a window
that that good ol' Florida sunshine is shining through.
Should only take a few minutes. ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:57 am

Carl, I reconstituted some back into beads by putting the shards in hot water (hot from the faucet, not the stove) for a few minutes. Softened right up and could be remolded into beads. I keep the beads in a small jar of water now.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
cassady

Post by cassady » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:17 pm

When I read Hank's email, I thought he was going to say use wax paper and an iron...

Although he didn't, I suspect that might be an idea: a cool iron and parchment paper (probably better for the iron than the wax paper).

Just a thought.
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:33 pm

Surely wax hardens over time due to the VOC’s. Whilst you can soften it with heat it is unlikely to ever be the same. Wax is inexpensive, Bill Bailey’s is a excellent wax for flymphs. Storing wax in water is a good idea and will prolong the life of new wax.
There has been many threads about the “best” wax. I have ended up buying several. It’s actually fun to find the best ones that suit you.
B
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either