Scissor Recommedations

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

jcwillow777

Scissor Recommedations

Post by jcwillow777 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:16 am

I'm not really sure where this post should go, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I need to buy some scissors. I am using Anvil Ice Stainless. They are okay, but I need a pair, (actually 2, one for home and one for my cabin) that will let me cut the hackle really close to the thread. These don't and there is always a little stub sticking up, really frustrating. This really hasn't been an issue for me until I started tying spiders and flymphs. And especially so after seeing John Shaner tie and making his heads as small as he does.

Thanks for your input,
Greg
Greg
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Scissor Recommedations

Post by letumgo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:50 am

My two favorites scissors are made by Dr. Slick (Microtip and Arrow Point). I have used these extensively, for many years and they have served me very well. They are very sharp. Comfortable to hold, while tying.

I use the point of the scissors as a tool (sort of like a bodkin), while tying. When I first received the microtip scissors, I further sharpened and tapered the tip by carefully buffing the end with 1200 grit sandpaper to make the outer surface ultra smooth (prevents snagging when working with silks).

Dr Slick Website: https://www.drslick.com/
(you can download a PDF file showing their whole range of scissors)

You Tube Video - Review of Dr Slick Scissors
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:00 am

Hey Greg, hope all is well. I haven't been north but intend to get a trip going in the next few weeks or so. My son fished some small streams last weekend and had great time. I had a similar problem with the stems and now use a razor blade to get close. I was also wrapping the feather forwards on the hook toward the eye and found getting the stem closely cut and not sticking out to be problematic. As a few others on this site coached me up to wrap from the front to the back, I have found that I am able to hide the stub in the thorax a bit. It's still there, but not nearly as visible. Wrapping from front to back has also helped immensely with having the head portion of my flies to be much more consistent in regards to the gap between the hackle and eye. I believe Letumgo refers to an eye length of gap where he starts his thread and wraps rearward 5 or 6 turns and then back toward the eye by 3 turns to the hackle tie in point. Maybe a few guys can chime in here to fill in the blanks. I apologize for not offering a scissor recommendation, but only a work around that has helped me.

Dave
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks guys.

Ray, I will definitely look into The Dr. Slick scissors, I really appreciate your help and insight. I hate wasting money and buying something only to find out what I bought wasn't really exactly what I wanted or needed. I have done that way more times than I want to count.

Dave, thanks for the advice to wrap the hackle backwards. I have red about that technique a little but the little I have read about it they were tying off behind the hackle and not at the head. I just haven't conquered that yet. We're going back up to the cabin on Tuesday and staying for another week or so. Maybe well will run into each other sometime on the Au Sable.

John, thanks for the recommendation. We have Amazon Prime and I find myself ordering way more stuff than I should. But, I just gotta get some new scissors. this is starting to drive me crazy!!!
Greg
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:57 am

Good morning. I am also a BIG fan of Fiskars, although I use the "normally open" type. Very sharp and a very reasonable price, ans can be found at most any fabric store (Jo Anne's, etc.) One thing to watch for with any scissor is that the tips line up when closed. No gaps in any direction. Also, most Dr. Slick scissors actually have the same point. You can see this by holding up different types of scissors(Arrow-head, curved, etc.). The points all line up the same. Don't know about other makes. Hope this helps, and you find scissors that work for you. :)
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:02 am

After watching the Dr. Slick video I settled in on a pair. I went to Amazon and ordered a pair of the Arrow Point scissors. Then after seeing that they wouldn't be delivered until Wednesday, we are going back up to the cabin on Tuesday, I deleted that order and ordered a set of the Razor scissors which will arrive tomorrow! I still need to buy another set, so I will probably try the Arrow Point set when I'm not is so much of a hurry to get them. I may go to JoAnne's and look at the Fiskar Micro Tip also. Thanks again everyone for all of your input.
Greg
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:52 pm

I have found that the Razor scissors are the best for me. If I really want to get close I use an Exacto knife.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:26 pm

I stole a pair of the Fiskars out of my wife's sewing kit a while ago. She's not getting them back. I also use the Dr. Slick stuff, and they're fine, but those Fiskars... nice.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:14 pm

For a really close cuts it’s hard to beat a scalpel. A handle and a box of disposable blades is relatively cheap. I also have a small, plastic container for safe blade disposal.
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks narcog, I didn't even think of an exacto knife, I have a set in my tool box.

Mike - I'm gonna have to get a set of Fiskars and try them out since they really aren't that expensive.

wsbailey - I don't have a scalpel, but that sounds like a good idea. I always make sure my razor blades from my knives are always disposed of safely so no one will get cut by them, great idea.
Greg