Tying Wingless Wets

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DinoC

Tying Wingless Wets

Post by DinoC » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:55 am

Hi, I am new at this website and wanted to get into soft hackle flies or wingless wets. I would like to know what feathers and types/sizes of hooks are used for these flies? Any major hints will be appreciated.
I have tied other flies, but not soft hackles.
Thank you in advance and hope that we get to exchange messages in the future.
Best,
Dean
DinoC

Re: Tying Wingless Wets

Post by DinoC » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi, I will be using the soft hackle flies in ponds, lakes and rivers in the general Boston vicinities. Sometimes in other New England locations. But I was wondering in general, which feathers are used to provide the soft hackle look? I know that only some feathers are best to use. Best, Dean
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:28 pm

Welcome Dino...take a brief tour of the index and check out the Step by Steps, and videos, etc... in no time you will find a steady diet of flies to pique your interest. I was new not that long ago, and am now hopelessly addicted to this forum and the huge amount of information available here.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Welcome Dean.

Without being too specific, most soft hackles use 2 different categories of hackle...Gamebird hackle (grouse, partridge, dove, pheasant, quail etc.) and hackle from chicken hens which is softer than the hackle from most roosters. Just about any of either works great. I do tie my Stillwater soft hackles with longer hackle than most because you are stripping and the longer hackle better represents a swimming motion which most Stillwater insects use. I think the gamebird hackles are also better for the Stillwater patterns as they are softer than most hen hackle.

As far as hooks, just about anything is used and everyone has their preference. I use my hooks as the main source of weight for the fly. So if I want the pattern to ride a little higher in the water I use a dry fly hook and heavier hooks to determine the sinking rate of the pattern. I don't like to put beads on my wet flies as I think it takes away from the lively action and kick to the presented pattern. Many people do add beads though to fish their soft hackles deeper.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DinoC

Post by DinoC » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:04 pm

Thank you all for your advice. I only have Pheasant and Golden Pheasant capes and will go to a fly shop to get other feathers. I also ordered the Wet Flies ... book bt Dave Hughes. I also started using a trout spey rod 3wt size and thought of using these soft hackle flies. Dean