Stone Goat (Variant)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ron Eagle Elk

Stone Goat (Variant)

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:27 pm

Okay, it's a wet fly and it's wingless. It also fits in with my recent adoration of Irish style flies.

Hook is a Mustad 3906B in size 10, Thread is black Danville's 6/0, rib is fine oval silver tinsel, Tag is one strand of red Berlin wool, tail is a Golden Pheasant topping, body is black seal's fur, body hackle is black and claret hen wrapped together, hackle is Guinea Hen dyed Kingfisher blue. Apparently, my photography skills are lacking when it comes to big, bushy flies.
Attachments
DSCN2051.JPG
DSCN2051.JPG (231.42 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Stone Goat (Variant)

Post by letumgo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 am

I love Irish wet flies, and this wee lass is a beaut. Great name! :D

Do you have any history of the pattern, or recommendations of book references?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:41 am

Honestly, I saw the pattern on a Facebook wet fly page, tied by John Moore. We have since become FB friends and have traded comments back and forth. I have no history of the fly to share, but I do have a reference book. "Tying Flies in the Irish style, Trout and Sea Trout Patterns" by E.J. Malone. The book covers everything about the Irish tying style and a lot of patterns, both dry and wet. I'm really enjoying the Irish style of tying.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:21 am

. . . it's a wet fly . . .

With all that hackle, I wondered about that. Probably won't sink right off, will it . . . which can be a feature, not a bug, of course. :)
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:05 pm

It is a slow sinking wet fly, usually fished on the loughs of Ireland, though can be fished in streams. This version uses all hen hackles. There is a semi wet version that uses dyed Chinese rooster hackles for the palmer hackles. Because the inexpensive hackles have so few barbs, it still sinks but really slow