emergers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

raven4ns

emergers

Post by raven4ns » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:56 pm

Hello,
Yesterday I was fishing the South river and came across a situation that puzzled me. The water was fairly low but these trout were constantly rising. There didn't appear to be any hatch that I could see on the water so I figured there were rising to emergers. I threw dries, wets and soft hackles at them with no takers.
Are there some soft hackles that can pass for an emerger? I don't know soft hackles well enough to be able to tell if there are a group of them that can offer a similar profile to an emerger. I did have some klinkhammers in my box but never tried them. If any of you have some flies that are reasonably simple to tie that are emergers I would be grateful for the recipe. Thank you.
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
hankaye

Re: emergers

Post by hankaye » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:20 pm

raven4ns, Howdy;

You mentioned a host of different types and styles in a short mouth full of words
didn't see the name Flymph once. A properly tyed Flymph that would be.
Here's a link that Old Hat (Carl), put together awhile back. Page 2 upper Left
corner has the definition.
Please, enjoy.

http://www.ngatu692.com/Flymph_Pamplet.pdf

Flymphs, more then just a funny sounding name ... ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Trifly

Post by Trifly » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Hank can you tell me which flymph will work for his emerger dilemma?
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:20 pm

I'd tote along an aquarium net for the next time this happens. See what gets netted.
Boarmountain

Post by Boarmountain » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm

raven4ns wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:56 pm Hello,
Yesterday I was fishing the South river and came across a situation that puzzled me. The water was fairly low but these trout were constantly rising. There didn't appear to be any hatch that I could see on the water so I figured there were rising to emergers. I threw dries, wets and soft hackles at them with no takers.
Are there some soft hackles that can pass for an emerger? I don't know soft hackles well enough to be able to tell if there are a group of them that can offer a similar profile to an emerger. I did have some klinkhammers in my box but never tried them. If any of you have some flies that are reasonably simple to tie that are emergers I would be grateful for the recipe. Thank you.
A couple of questions. What time of day? What type of riseforms were they?
Mike B.
International, North American, National champion taxidermist specializing in "catch & release" fish mounts
Custom bamboo and glass rods
www.prairiedrifter.com
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:05 am

It was around 1pm and the rises weren't splashy but more like takes just below the water yet enough to show the rings.

Boarmountain wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm
All the best,

Tim
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:16 am

Thank you, hankaye, I still have much to learn when it comes to Flymph's and soft hackles in general. Hank do you know of a site that lists Flymphs and their recipes? I have been making the mistake of grouping Flymphs with soft hackles in general which appears not to be the case. Thank you again, Hank.

hankaye wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:20 pm raven4ns, Howdy;

You mentioned a host of different types and styles in a short mouth full of words
Please, enjoy.

hank
All the best,

Tim
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:12 am

raven4ns, Howdy;
raven4ns wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:16 am Thank you, hankaye, I still have much to learn when it comes to Flymph's and soft hackles in general. Hank do you know of a site that lists Flymphs and their recipes? I have been making the mistake of grouping Flymphs with soft hackles in general which appears not to be the case. Thank you again, Hank.

hankaye wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:20 pm raven4ns, Howdy;

Please, enjoy.

hank
Yup, sure do ... click the link;
viewforum.php?f=19

Have a good wander through that and just about all your Flymph questions
should have an answer in there somewhere ... ;) , :D .
If there is no answer then ask on the forum itself, I'm sure someone will have
an answer for you. Truly a helpful bunch here.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:40 am

Thank you, Hank, for your help it is very much appreciated. You are quite correct about the other people on this forum, they are indeed very helpful. My sincere thanks goes out to everyone who have helped to educate me regarding soft hackle flies and more
All the best,

Tim
Boarmountain

Post by Boarmountain » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:31 pm

raven4ns wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:05 am It was around 1pm and the rises weren't splashy but more like takes just below the water yet enough to show the rings.

Boarmountain wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm
I would venture to say they were possibly feeding on drowned spinners
Mike B.
International, North American, National champion taxidermist specializing in "catch & release" fish mounts
Custom bamboo and glass rods
www.prairiedrifter.com