Useing wool for dubbing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

dj1212

Useing wool for dubbing

Post by dj1212 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:40 pm

I have a question about tying with wool dubbing. How do you all normally make bodies with it as dubbing? It's longer fiber than natural furs I have used. Do you chop it up? Mix it with other dubbing? Spin it in a thread loop like Liesenring bodies? Thanks in advance for any responses.
chase creek

Re: Useing wool for dubbing

Post by chase creek » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:05 pm

I normally just chop it up, then use a cheap coffee grinder to mix it. Blend in the coffee blender just like natural dubbing, and it can be used just as you would any other dubbing.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Yup, What Chase Creek said. I just chop it up and toss it in a cheap coffee grinder and hit it with a couple pulses. Works like a champ. You can also mix in other materials, like SLF, other synthetics or natural materials. Making dubbing can get addictive.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:40 pm

One of best wool yarns for dubbing Is crewel yarn. It’s the kind mentioned by Leisenring for his cow dung fly. What I do is cut it into approximately 4” lengths. I then twist the yarn into individual strands. These strands can then be easily pulled apart. This way you don’t have a lot of cut ends showing up in the dubbing.
Last edited by wsbailey on Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:52 pm

Thanks again for the help. I guess I have to invest in a cheap coffee grinder. lol
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:26 am

You can really do it anyway you like. I use separated yarn and tie it in like chenille. I’ve used felted yarn and you can start twisting cords of it off and tie those directly onto the hook and wrap or you can make dubbing. If I make dubbing I try to tear the wool into about 1/2 inch pieces, not cut with scissors. It gives a little different texture to the ends of the fiber. Wool comes in so many different textures from ultra fine like alpaca to really course that you have to play with it to see what works best. If you don’t have a grinder, place it all in a container of water, swish around to mix and then squeeze it out and dry. Works great.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:51 am

What Ron said: fooling around with dubbing is addictive. I have grain bags full of raw material just sheared from a couple of Nubian's if anybody wants some. Mostly black with swirls of mocha and cream running through it. The embedded hay and goat poop bring a subtle nuance to the colors.
Trevis

Post by Trevis » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:54 am

Often as not I use yarn as it comes in the same way Sawyer did, it can be untwisted and used in the smaller strands or it can be pulled apart into fibers and then used in a noodle or twisted in a loop- all dubbing methods end up making a yarn, so if it works as is or slightly unraveled I save a step.
The gun cleaning brush will pull out some fuzz after tying, but if I want a real fuzzy look I'll use stiffer furs because wool will flatten with use or when wet. You can also use the brush to "card" the wool back out of a yarn.
Whole wool, I would try to arrange in a loop so that only the skin ends are captured by ~1/8" and form a long fibered chenile like cord that can be used more like hackle, by matching ends and using something like a bulldog clip.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:13 am

I love using wool yarn to make dubbing. I went crazy playing around with various dubbing blends and using the blends for wingless wet flies.

I'll look for the old posts and bump them, to make it easier to find.

Have fun! ;) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:31 pm

For larger bodied flies. it works well in a dubbing loop. Trim to shape like you would deer hair.

For example: https://www.flytierspage.com/eshenk/she ... minnow.htm
Bob