10 Years of Davie McPhail on Youtube

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hard Times Angler

10 Years of Davie McPhail on Youtube

Post by Hard Times Angler » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:13 am

Though as far as I know his first tying videos were uploaded to a now defunct website called Hatches.tv in 2008, McPhail came on the YouTube scene in 2009 and immediately set a very high bar for video production quality, tying expertise and a flair for clear and concise presentation.

He is so good and to the point I have a difficult time watching other tyers and typically don't bother (except to get an idea on what a specific pattern looks like).

Though I understand him fine, the only critique I recall reading over the years was his Scottish accent leaving some viewers a bit confused.

He seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of materials of all sorts, and on occasion has shared tactical fishing considerations for the pattern being presented.

I thought I could tie fairly well and knew my fair share about materials, but having McPhail videos to study over the years has helped my tying in countless ways. And yes, when I start a fly I often snap the thread tag off near the bend by hand, doing so with a smile – being well aware of McPhail's example.

McPhail's first video was split between nymphing a run on the River Ayr, employing a 9 ft. 5 wt Sage Z-Axis, and then tying a beadhead that had caught him a few on the Ayr.

[https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3cnlHNUh3Ro]

Here is his River Wet Flies playlist. I particularly like "Red Clock" and "Rodent." The Glanrhos esque "Davie's Spider" that he ties along with a Stewart Black Spider is also useful and readily adapted to variants.

[https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9 ... NVhQJX7FTY]
Mike62

Re: 10 Years of Davie McPhail on Youtube

Post by Mike62 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:00 am

I love to watch McPhail tie; his accent isn't a problem for me and his calm demeanor and excellent finger work make for a good understanding of the nuances of the pattern. As for his penchant for snapping off the tag with a simple flick of the wrist..., I've tried it and all I ever get is either a fast flying hook in the face or a nasty rope burn from the thread.

Carry on, Davie.
Hankinsfly

Post by Hankinsfly » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:27 pm

I watch most McPhail videos. I have learned a lot from him. The main thing that comes to mind is an understanding of how to tie winged wets. Not saying I’m good at it, but his videos gave me a start.
driftless

Post by driftless » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:40 am

Thanks a lot for posting the link to the Davie videos. He really makes it look easy, doesn't he?

I like the Davie's Spider and I'm planning to tie a bunch of those in a few sizes. I think they will work well here in the ditches & runoffs of Wisconsin for our paltry spotted dace, suckers & bullheads. :)