Re: tying a thorax

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:33 pm

Hello,
I noticed some soft hackles are tied with a thorax and others are not. Using a thorax to help keep the hackles from simply laying against the body appeals to me. Are there only certain soft hackles that use a thorax or can it be used regardless? Would the use of a thorax on a soft hackle when it isn't called for cause it to be less effective?
Some tyers use peacock herl others use hares ear, what determines the material used for a thorax? Thank you.
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:37 am

On standard well documented/recipe flies, add a thorax if the creator of the pattern did so. Then omit the thorax if you are so inclined.There are no hard rules for creating soft hackles. You are bound by your own imagination,and what you decide the fish prefer. If you are tying to impress other tyers, find out what your audience prefers.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:53 am

Good advice, from a fisherman (DUBBN) who knows his stuff.

I add a dark colored thorax to a lot of my fishing patterns, to generally imitate the darkened wingbuds of an emerging insect. I especially like peacock herl, for this purpose. Besides, peacock herl has proven to be such a key ingredient to many successful fishing patterns.

I'd argue that patterns without a thorax (I generally lump them together as "spider" patterns) are probably equally as effective as those with a thorax. Both have there place in my fly box.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 pm

Thank you for the explanation. In my case, I thought the thorax would help make the hackles move more as opposed to not having one.
All the best,

Tim
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 pm

I don't think a thorax makes much difference in how the hackles behave as far as collapsing. Contrary to popular belief the hackles when underwater will not fold up tight to the body. Larger flies swung in fast current may push back a bit but won't collapse like many believe. Propping the hackles up with a thorax could actually inhibit some movement in slower currents. A thorax does have benefit though. Most actively emerging mayflies and caddis will have a swollen thorax as the wings are fully formed but have not busted out yet. They will also often be darker than the rest of the insect. So, a thorax could help with the overall profile and color of the pattern. Like most of the additions to our patterns there are pros and cons usually dependent on how we intend to fish the pattern and on what type of water.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:57 pm

Well, I wrote a long answer that somehow didn't get posted, but Carl pretty much said exactly the same thing in fewer words. I agree with all the answers you've received here.
Bob
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:39 pm

Thank you, Carl and Bob, for your responses. My time being involved with Soft hackles sure is showing through my lack of knowledge. I feel like a child who has finished grade 2 and is now in high school. Thank you for your patience in answering my questions.
All the best,

Tim
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:50 pm

raven4ns, Howdy;

Don't you worry about asking to many questions. At least you have some background in tying flies.
Before I joined here (9 years ago), I had only tyed 1 fly and that was around the age of 10 or 11
which was 1959 or 1960. I am known for asking all sorts of questions and almost, ... notice I said almost
wore out the guys an the few gals that were here then. Ray and the majority of the regulars can
attest to what I just said. Had me tying my 2ed fly by about the fifth or 6th month. Just don't sweat
the small stuff at first. Get comfortable with the general ideas, proportions and materials, it is after all
only a fly.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:50 pm

Lol...thank you, Hank, I'm trying not to get on anyone's last nerve with my questions. I'm afraid that I'm the kind of guy that needs to know why it works instead of just accepting that it does.
All the best,

Tim
ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:07 pm

As a relative newcomer to the forum... I find that the questions generated by the newest members seem to recall information that may have been buried deep in the archives of the forum. Bringing them out anew generates a stimulus to further explore those areas of the forum. You'll find that some members have posted thousands of times and within those posts is a huge amount of useful information. There is always something new to discover or something to review from the past.

Keep the questions coming.