Re: tying a thorax

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:22 pm

ronr wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:07 pm As a relative newcomer to the forum... I find that the questions generated by the newest members seem to recall information that may have been buried deep in the archives of the forum. Bringing them out anew generates a stimulus to further explore those areas of the forum. You'll find that some members have posted thousands of times and within those posts is a huge amount of useful information. There is always something new to discover or something to review from the past.

Keep the questions coming.
What he said!

dd
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:35 pm

raven4ns, Howdy;
raven4ns wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:50 pm Lol...thank you, Hank, I'm trying not to get on anyone's last nerve with my questions. I'm afraid that I'm the kind of guy that needs to know why it works instead of just accepting that it does.
I not only ask the how and the why, but also go for the so if this leads to that then how does this & that correspond
to the original and how is that related to this other thingy over younder... ? Ray can vouch for me, so can some of
the others. But always remember ... It's Just A FLY!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 pm

I rarely tie a soft-hackle without some type of thorax. I do not have any scientific evidence but I always seemed to do better with thorax versions of a soft hackle and do buy into the idea that it mimics the effect of the swollen thorax on flies preparing to hatch and helps trap air bubbles for a realistic effect. I found this especially true of the spider type and North Country soft hackles promoted by Sylvester Nemes in the 70's.
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:25 pm

Thank you everyone for your ideas, comments and help, it is very much appreciated. I just received a package with a starling pelt, woodcock wings and a partridge pelt about 5 minutes ago so I will be able to tie a few more patterns. Reading the comments from my questions has been very helpful and is helping me find my way with soft hackle flies. Who knows one day I might even know what I'm doing... :lol: .
I also want to say thank you again for the kindness and generosity of the offers of help to actually sending me tying material to get me started. It is important to me that you understand how grateful I am for strangers willingness to help out someone they don't even know. This is not something you find every day or at least I don't.
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.