Peacock and Black - Black Spider

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Peacock and Black - Black Spider

Post by DUBBN » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:16 pm

I didnt want to hijack the Stewart Black Spider thread.

I keep a few Peacock and Black, & Black Spiders in my fly box. I will not call the Black Spider a Stewart as I dont want to argue the point if it is or is not tied in a manner to call it a Stewart.

Both patterns are always tied in size 18. Any smaller and my standard midge patterns work much better. Any bigger and I have a myriad of patterns that are more efficient. I use both patterns from the top of the water column to the bottom. When trout are keying on midge larva and pupa in size 26 to 18, I always start with one of these patterns. I am not enthralled with the patterns as much as Oliver Edwards, but when the fish want a larger midge, these two patterns shine.

Other patterns I fish with the P&B and Black Spider.
size 22
size 24
RickA

Re: Peacock and Black - Black Spider

Post by RickA » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:44 pm

I'm liking the 22 and the top B&W in size 24 looks like a great trico pattern.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:51 pm

How did I miss this post?!

Wayne - These are absolutely KILLER patterns! Beautifully buggy (sincere compliment).

By the way, how is your arm doing? Have you got your cast off yet?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:49 am

Ray, cast is off, I am back to work, and got a little fishing in . Thanks for asking.
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:31 am

What size of fish do you catch on those tiny hooks? Normally, I use a 6x tippet but I have had Browns break me off so I had to move to a 4x tippet on streams that had large Browns in it. A 4x tippet wouldn't fit in flies that small even if I could tie them on.... :) .
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:43 pm

raven4ns wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:31 am What size of fish do you catch on those tiny hooks? Normally, I use a 6x tippet but I have had Browns break me off so I had to move to a 4x tippet on streams that had large Browns in it. A 4x tippet wouldn't fit in flies that small even if I could tie them on.... :) .
4 or 5 x tippet.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:24 pm

Wayne, Killer flies, Bud. I always have Peacock and Black and Black spiders with me. I usually don't go much smaller than a 16. Tying some smaller would give me a chance to use up those teeny feathers on those hen necks.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"