Endrick Spiders

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Endrick Spiders

Post by joaniebo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:09 am

Awhile back, a friend in the UK asked that I tie him a few Endrick Spiders to fish his local waters. When he sent me the dressing, I told him that I called these "Pheasant Tail & Partridge" soft hackles.... but that the fly is tied with a wire underbody, especially under the thorax area, to make the fly sink faster and deeper into the water.

Hook - Daiichi 1550 wet fly hook, usually size 12 & 14
Body & Tail - Rooster Pheasant Tails
Thread - Pale yellow or pale olive although I also like to use orange thread with most PT dressings
Thorax- Peacock herl
Hackle - Grey partridge
Rib - Gold or copper wire
Attachments
Endrick Spiders.jpg
Endrick Spiders.jpg (134.58 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Endrick Spiders

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:52 am

I love the tapered body. Very nicely tyed. Those puppies will hunt!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:59 pm

These are just awesome! I wish I could tie like you! Last year (or perhaps two years ago?), I surrounded the hookshank with lead wire and proceeded to tie a March Brown over top of it! They were very well rec'd on the lower levels of fishdom! Your spiders would do just as well down there I am very sure!
Superb tying Joaniebo as always!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:45 pm

This fly has been very successful for me when fishing for grayling. I linked to a tutorial in a previous post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7481&p=86382&hilit= ... der#p86382

A copper rib has been better than silver with 'my' fish. Could be just a coincidence.

In an issue of Fly Fishing & Fly Tying a few years ago, the creator/designer of the pattern, John Harwood, gave the background story. He needed a fly tied with materials cheap and easy to source, for night fishing the narrow and overgrown river Endrick where you lose a lot of flies. He ended up with this pattern. Try it, your fish might like it too.

dd