Grouse and Grouse

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

raven4ns

Re: Grouse and Grouse

Post by raven4ns » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:09 am

Thank you, REE, for your kindness, bud. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in suggesting I try your wool for a few soft hackle flies. I don't have the experience to draw on like you and some of the other guys so I rely on recipes for the most part. There are bound to be recipes on the internet which I can use to try the wool on. Thank you again, REE.
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:12 am

Wool has been used readily in many classic wet fly patterns both as a primary material and as a way to blend colors. I think quality mohair and kid mohair is the best substitute for seal in many patterns.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:27 pm

I sent our friend, Variant, a set of three Grouse and Grouse. He saved two and fished one. Caught two redside trout on it. It will work. Nice to have a report when my rivers are closed.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:43 pm

Do those barbs bend down ok or break?
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:37 pm

FG, Yup those English Red Grouse make beautiful hackles. One of my favorites to tie with, along with woodcock, Golden Plover and Starling, yes, Starling. We have Grouse here that come into the yard to eat our fermented miniature crab apples. Watching them trying to fly away is a riot. Steve's site can make me spend money rapidly.

Johnno, I usually use those hooks for display flies only, so the barbs stay as they are.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Variant

Post by Variant » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:08 am

Johnno,
I had no problem taking down the barb on REEs pattern. I used a pair of Tiemco debarbing plyers I purchased about 15 years ago.
The majority of the waters I fish require barbless hooks.There are many hook companies making excellent barbless hooks in many styles and sizes, Hanak,Ahrex,Fulling Mills and Maruto to name a few. Don’t get me wrong, I have an inordinate fondness for the old hooks,they are very well made and when replicating old patterns they cannot be beat.
Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:32 pm

I agree Lou, old fly patterns deserve old hooks. Like REE most of the old flies I tie on such hooks are for presentation but every now and again l like to use an old hook on the river. Some barbs bend down just fine and others merely snap as soon as pressure is applied..
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:37 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:58 pm REE, just for the record.. I love to tie, eat and shoot grouse. :lol: :lol:

PS - I also have a lovely Cookshills red grouse skin that makes awesome soft hackles.
My sentiments exactly !!!!!!!!
The grouse is Gods way of saying thank you: there has never been a more noble bird !
Jim Bashline sums it up perfectly in his description of Pinney, expert night fisherman. Read it in His “Night fishing for trout” which is a must read for every fly fisher.
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:58 am

I've got 4 Grouse that have found my bird feeders this winter. It's the one bird the damn Blue Jays can't seem to bully. A hoard of 20 Turkeys showed up yesterday as well. They're back right now, scratching and looking for more sunflower seeds. I'd love to see them stay all winter but I'll go bankrupt buying seed for a bunch of flying vacuum cleaners.

The Amish up the road have been feeding them and I always think they have ulterior motives (the Amish, not the Turkeys) but so far the number of Turkeys hasn't decreased any. ...yet.

I'm kinda' hoping for a WWF style steel cage death match between all the visitors; I'll go out afterwards and clean up on feathers.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:19 pm

Mike62 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:58 am I've got 4 Grouse that have found my bird feeders this winter. It's the one bird the damn Blue Jays can't seem to bully. A hoard of 20 Turkeys showed up yesterday as well. They're back right now, scratching and looking for more sunflower seeds. I'd love to see them stay all winter but I'll go bankrupt buying seed for a bunch of flying vacuum cleaners.

The Amish up the road have been feeding them and I always think they have ulterior motives (the Amish, not the Turkeys) but so far the number of Turkeys hasn't decreased any. ...yet.

I'm kinda' hoping for a WWF style steel cage death match between all the visitors; I'll go out afterwards and clean up on feathers.
We have two groups of turkeys that visit our place. One harem of about 16 hens, and a group of five toms that visit at separate times, a couple times a day. We used to have a lot of cute little red squirrels that hit up the feeders, and a couple of grays that would tear up a bird feeder. An ermine moved into our woodpile and started killing and eating squirrels. He's even bagged a couple of mourning doves as they land. Now that all but one of the squirrels are gone, he may move on. We have a couple of grouse that sit in our miniature crab apple tree and eat the ornamental fruit.